The timing couldn’t have been better.
As big snowflakes fell outside, representatives of city and Buncombe schools met Tuesday afternoon with officials from the city public works department, state Department of Transportation and other emergency officials to review procedures for handling inclement weather.
“Our goal is to have school when it’s safe. And if we can get our streets and roads clear, and we can have a delay versus canceling school, that’s our objective,” said Asheville City Schools Superintendent Allen Johnson.
Because buses must begin their routes so early, both city and county school officials try to make a decision whether to cancel school by 5:30 a.m. That means getting people out on the roads early and checking conditions.Read the full article