N.C. Dept. of Transportation announces:
Read the full article
N.C. Department of Transportation Secretary Gene Conti has awarded the following contracts:
Buncombe County: A contract to resurface almost 20 miles of roads in Buncombe County — $3.6 million contract was awarded to Harrison Construction Company, a division of APAC-Atlantic, of Knoxville, Tenn. Work can begin as early as March 15 and is scheduled for completion by Oct. 15.
The project includes resurfacing and shoulder reconstruction along:
- 1 mile of U.S. 25/Hendersonville Road near the I-40 intersection in Asheville;
- 0.6 miles of U.S. 74-A from U.S. 70 to N.C. 81 in Asheville;
- 0.1 miles of N.C. 151 south of U.S. 19/23/74 in Candler;
- 1 mile of N.C. 9 south of the Blue Ridge Parkway intersection in Black Mountain;
- 1.2 miles of N.C. 191/Brevard Road near the Blue Ridge Parkway intersection in Asheville;
- 0.8 miles of Weaver Blvd from U.S. 19/23 to U.S. 19/23 Business/Main Street in Weaverville;
- 2 miles of Lake Eden Road from Old US 70 to End of Maintenance at Lake Eden;
- 1 mile of Rose Hill Road from Bee Ridge Road to Merrill’s Cove Road in Reynolds;
- 1.9 miles of Monta Vista Road from Acton Circle to Holcombe Cove Road in Enka;
- 0.8 miles of Candler School Road from Old US 19/23 south to the railroad tracks in Candler;
- 4.3 miles of Old Weaverville Highway parallel to US 19/23 near Flat Creek;
- 1.4 miles of N. Turkey Creek from N.C. 63 to Earleys Mountain Road near Leicester; and
- 3.6 miles of Dillingham Road from N.C. 197 to S.R. 2178 near Dillingham south of Barnardsville.
Madison County: two contracts totaling more than $2.1 million for road improvements in Madison County. These include:
- A $1.5 million contract to resurface 9 miles of roads, awarded to Rogers Group, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia. Work can begin as early as March 15 and is scheduled for completion by Oct. 15.
The roads to be resurfaced include:
- 3.6 miles of N.C. 213 from Grapevine Road to the western city limits of Mars Hill;
- 1.8 miles of N.C. 213 from US 25/70 to Silver Mill Road near Marshall;
- 0.7 miles of N.C. 213 from the eastern city limits of Mars hill to Calvin Edney;
- 0.5 miles of U.S. 25/70 Business from Redmon Road to Walnut Creek Road in Marshall;
- 2.8 miles of Big Laurel Road from Spill Corn Road to Walnut Creek Road near Big Laurel.
- A $632,459 contract to replace the bridges over Middle Fork Creek and Crooked Creek on Crooked Creek Road in Mars Hill, awarded to Miller Engineering Company Inc. of Marion. These bridges were constructed in 1964 and need to be replaced due to their age and condition. Work can begin as early as March 15 and is scheduled for completion by Dec. 31.
These are among 30 contracts totaling $82.6 million awarded by Conti for highway and bridge projects across North Carolina. NCDOT awarded the contracts to the lowest bidders, as required by state law. The bids received on the projects awarded came in about 8 percent, or about $7.2 million, below NCDOT estimates.
Since Gov. Bev Perdue took office in January of 2009, NCDOT has awarded 471 highway contracts totaling $3.6 billion to ensure that all North Carolinians have access to jobs and educational opportunities.