Carolina Day Scholar awards recognize and encourage exceptional ability and talent in academics as well as in leadership, community service, and extra-curricular areas.
The program is an annual, competitive, merit-based tuition scholarship program for students who are new to Carolina Day's Upper School in the rising 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. (Carolina Day School re-enrolled rising 9th graders are also eligible for this award.) The awards are renewable each year until the student graduates as long as he or she maintains a 3.33 grade-point average and continues to contribute to the School in positive ways.
The application process includes visits to the Upper School, essays, recommendations, current transcripts, and standardized test scores. Applicants interview with the Awards Committee and are judged on the basis of:
• Superior academic record and demonstrated excellence in extra-curricular areas
• Evidence of strong leadership and excellent character
• The quality of the required essay and interview
• The student's potential to make a significant contribution to the Carolina Day School community
To be considered as a Carolina Day Scholar, students must meet the following criteria:
• A current GPA of 3.33 or higher, or a cumulative GPA from the seventh grade of 3.33 or higher, or a class rank for the last full school year in the top 5% of the class.
• A score over the 90th percentile on national norms on a standardized test (including the SSAT, PSAT, SAT, ISEE, or ERB).