All campfires should be completely extinguished before leaving a campsite and never leave a campfire unattended. The following are additional tips for campers:
•Clear a 10-foot safety circle of all leaves, pine needles and flammable material.
• Allow the wood to burn completely to ash, if possible.
• Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones.
• Pour until hissing sound stops.
• Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel.
• The U.S. Forest Service is also asking residents to postpone burning debris this week. Debris burning is a major cause of wildfires in the South.
Lastly, there are general fire prevention tips that visitors can follow including:
• Don't play with matches.
• Keep your cigarette butts in the car.
• Park vehicles so that the exhaust system does not come in contact with dry grass, weeds or leaves.
Visit the following sites for additional tips on preventing wildfires:
http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/prev_ed/index.html Read the full article