Press releaseJulie Keiper and her 17 year old daughter Chloe Zacher of Waynesville will join thousands of other dedicated women and men at the Boston Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer. After months of training and fundraising, participants will walk 60 miles during three days to raise awareness and funds for critical research and community outreach programs.
They are following a sixteen week training program which gradually builds mileage from 18 miles per week to 48 miles per week in preparation for the 60 mile event.
“As a Breast Cancer 3-Day participant, I have an opportunity to celebrate breast cancer survivorship, honor those who lost their lives to the disease, and ultimately, have an enormous impact on awareness and funding for breast cancer research and community outreach programs,” said Keiper. “The Breast Cancer 3-Day is challenging and fun, and the memory of our personal accomplishment will last a lifetime.”
The Boston Susan G. Komen 3-Day will start on Friday morning, July 26th and end with the Closing Ceremony on Sunday afternoon, July 28th. The walkers will cover about 20 miles a day, traveling at their own pace. The walkers will be supported by hundreds of volunteer crew members who will provide meals, liquid and snack stops, gear transport, safety on the streets and 24-hour medical services. Participants spend nights in a sea of pink 2 person tents with portable hot showers and restrooms.
The actual journey starts months in advance when walkers start training and raising the $2,300 required fundraising minimum. To help prepare for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, each walker is supported by coaches and online assistance that aid in all aspects of training and fundraising, while clinics, meetings, and training walks provide ongoing support. Julie’s fundraising is progressing well – to date, she has raised 86% of her $2300 minimum. Chloe is in need of assistance with her fundraising – she has raised 26% and has five weeks to qualify for the walk by reaching her $2300 mark. To help Zacher reach her goal, make a donation directly to her online donation page at http://www.the3day.org/goto/chloe. Donations are also accepted by phone at 800.996.3DAY – reference Zacher’s participant ID #7062865. To learn how to participate or volunteer with the 3-Day, visit www.The3Day.org or call 800.996.3DAY.
About the Susan G. Komen 3-Day
Taking place in 14 cities nationwide, the Susan G. Komen 3-Day is a three-day, 60-mile walk that provides an opportunity to educate tens of thousands of people about breast health, including the importance of early detection. Susan G. Komen 3-Day participants commit to raising a minimum of $2,300 and walking an average of 20 miles a day during each three-day event. Proceeds from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day are used for breast cancer research, education, and community outreach programs. As the primary beneficiary of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day, Susan G. Komen for the Cure receives 85 percent of net proceeds and the remaining 15 percent goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund. Please visit www.The3Day.org, or call 800.996.3DAY for more information.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever. In 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure and launched the global breast cancer movement. Today, Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure® and the Susan G. Komen 3-Days, the organization has invested nearly $1 billion to fulfill its promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world. For more information about Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN.
About the National Philanthropic Trust
The National Philanthropic Trust, the event manager of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Series, is an independent public charity dedicated to promoting and facilitating charitable giving by individuals, families and organizations while expanding their knowledge in the field of philanthropy. Founded in 1996, NPT is one of the 100 largest charities in the United States with more than $675 million in assets under management. Since its inception, NPT has raised more than $1.2 billion in charitable assets, and made more than 22,500 grants to U.S. and international charities totaling $650 million.