The awards recognize individuals, private organizations, civic groups, and/or public agencies in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison, and Transylvania counties who have made significant contributions toward the enhancement or restoration of the French Broad River as a cultural, economic, natural, or recreational resource. The 2011 award winners are:
• Henderson County Erosion Control Program – for efforts to reduce soil erosion and sedimentation of streams and rivers in the County.
• Black Mountain Greenways Commission – for its efforts to develop a network of greenways which help preserve streams and create recreational opportunities in the community.
• Everett Farms – for this Transylvania County family farm’s efforts to install agricultural best management practices to protect water quality.
• Rob Pulleyn – for his efforts to preserve historic buildings and revitalize communities along the river especially his effort to renovate the old Madison High School into Madison High Studios.
• Denise Snodgrass – for protecting the river through her volunteer work with RiverLink and her former position as Associate Director of the Senior Leadership Program at UNCA.
• Forrest Westall – for his lifelong efforts to address point and non-point sources of pollution in the French Broad River Basin and entire state through his professional and volunteer positions with the NC Division of Water Quality, NC Environmental Management Commission and McGill Associates.
For information on French Broad River improvement programs, contact Bill Eaker at the Land-of-Sky Regional Council at 251-6622.