Do you remember Asheville in the the ’90s, when Mountain Xpress was launched 20 years ago this summer?
- There wasn’t a parking problem downtown?
- Xpress‘ weekly issues were just 24 pages?
- Area club listings took about one page, compared to four pages nowadays?
- The only place to get a bite to eat downtown after 10 p.m. was Vincent’s Ear?
- Just four area restaurants made it into Xpress’ first guide to international cuisine?
- Over 300 ardent Green Line supporters — in a pre-Kickstarter effort — helped launch Mountain Xpress in 1994?
- A crack-smoking rabbit graced Xpress’ inaugural cover?
- Xpress covered Gannett’s purchase of the Asheville Citizen-Times in 1995?
- The 1995 “Best of WNC” winners included Laughing Seed, Hot Shot Café, Be Here Now, Beanstreets, Chocolate Fetish, Barley’s, Liquid Dragon, Cissy Majebe, Julian Price, Leni Sitnick?
If you were around back then, send us your recollections, and help celebrate Xpress’ 20th anniversary in its Aug. 27 issue.
Send your memories — in the comment field below or by email to email@example.com.