From carols and candles to bluegrassy-Christmas tunes, here is roundup of local Christmas Eve happenings. All events are free unless noted.
• Basilica of St. Lawrence (97 Haywood St., Asheville) hosts “Christmas, Nativity of Our Lord:” Children are invited to participate in a Liturgy at 5 p.m.; a Vigil Mass en Espanol will be held at 8 p.m. and carols, followed by midnight Mass, will begin at 11 p.m. On Saturday, Dec. 25, there will be a Christmas day service held at noon. Info: 252-6042 or click here.
• First Baptist Church (5 Oak St., at the corner of Charlotte St. and I-240 in downtown Asheville) holds a Christmas Eve candlelight and communion service from 6 to 7 p.m. As stated in a press release the church invites the community to “welcome God’s great light with candles, communion and choral music of this Advent season.” From 9 to 10 p.m. the church offers a Christmas Eve lessons and carols service, where all are welcome to “share in the lessons and carols of Christmas with the sounds of violins and duo pianos. Welcome the Christ Child in this intimate service through communion, sacred music and quiet reflection.” Child care is available. Info: 252-4781 or click here.
• The White Horse Black Mountain (105C Montreat Road, Black Mountain) presents special Christmas Eve show at 7 p.m., featuring musicians Kim Hughes, Zach Blew, Bob Hinkle, Wilderness Act and Tony Corning. As stated in a press release, this is “a non-denominational event. We’ll celebrate the spirit of Christmas with music from different cultures and points of view. There will be carol singing in which everyone who wishes to will participate.” Info: 669-0816 or click here.
• Jack of the Wood (95 Patton Ave., downtown Asheville) hosts “Bluegrassy Christmas, Y’all” at 8 p.m., featuring live music by Copper Kettle and Fred Skellenger, performing a blend of traditional bluegrass, country and gospel tunes. $5. Info: 252-5445 or click here.
• The Unity Center (2041 Old Fanning Bridge Road, Mills River) holds a Christmas Eve candlelight service at 7:30 p.m. Free, but a love offering is encouraged. Info: 684-3798, 891-8700 or click here.
• Central United Methodist (27 Church St., Asheville) hosts a children and family service at 3 p.m.; plus a “Birthday Party for Jesus” at 3:45 p.m.; a brass concert at 5 p.m.; lessons and carols at 5:30 p.m. and a candlelight communion at 11 p.m. Info: 253-3316 or click here.
• Calvary Episcopal (2840 Hendersonville Road, Fletcher) offers a “Festive Holy Eucharist” at 5:30 p.m. and again at 10:30 p.m. Info: 684-6266 or click here.
• Christ United Methodist Church (81 Garrison Branch Road, Weaverville) holds a Christmas Eve service at 7 p.m. Info: 645-5785 or click here.
• Church of the Resurrection (1543 Patton Ave., Asheville) offers a Christmas Eve service from 9 to 10 p.m., featuring carols, liturgical dance, Christmas lessons and holy communion. Info: 691-5455 or click here.
• Holy Family Episcopal (419 Turnpike Road, Mills River) hosts Christmas lessons and carols from 7 to 8 p.m. Info: 891-9375 or click here.
• Land of the Sky United Church of Christ (15 Overbrook Place) presents “Music, Drama, Candlelighting” at 5 p.m. Held at the Fellowship Hall at Westminster Presbyterian Church. Info: 242-0268 or click here.
• Living Savior Lutheran (301 Overlook Road, Asheville) invites the community to attend a Christmas Eve candlelight service at 6:30 p.m. Info: 650-0404 or click here.
• St. Mark’s Lutheran Church (10 N. Liberty St., Asheville) will host a “Family Candlelight and Christmas Love Feast” at 4:30 p.m. and a Candlelight communion service at 7 and again at 11 p.m. Info: 253-0043 or click here.
• Hendersonville First United Methodist Church (204 6th Ave., Hendersonville) holds a Christmas Eve service at 5 p.m. Info: 693-4275 or click here.
• First Christian Church (470 Enka Lake Road, in Candler) offers a Christmas Eve service from 5:45 to 6:45 p.m. Info: 665-9499 or click here.
• The Rock Church (273 Monte Vista Road, Candler) invites the public to sing holiday classics and carols at 5 p.m. and again at 7 p.m. Info: 670-7625 or click here.
Happy holidays to all!
Missing an event? Please let us know about additional serves and festivities that are free and open to the public by leaving a comment below.