Fill your weekend with conscious parties, barbecues for a cause, beers for pups and much more!
• Do you see beauty in what others discard? Then don’t miss the upcoming Trashion Show, featuring inventive clothing and accessories made from “reused and upcycled” materials, on Friday, Nov. 12, at 7 p.m. at Asheville’s new Creative Reuse Center, located at 95 Thompson St., in the River Arts District. All proceeds from the $10 admission fee benefits Brother Wolf Animal Rescue, a no-kill animal shelter. Info: 808-9435.
• “PBR for Pups,” a beer-drinking benefit for the Asheville Humane Society, will be held on Saturday, Nov. 13, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Universal Joint Bar, 784 Haywood Road, in West Asheville. Proceeds from sales of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer will benefit AHS’s adoption program and services for fuzzy friends. Info: 761-2001.
• Carpenter’s Heart, a faith-based nonprofit committed to initiating community projects, such as building wheel-chair ramps and organizing back-to-school ministries, hosts “When Pigs Fly,” a barbecue fundraiser on Saturday, Nov. 13, from 4 to 7 p.m., at Newbridge Baptist Church, 199 Elkwood Ave., Asheville. All proceeds benefit an international orphanage project sponsored by Carpenter’s Heart. There is a $5 admission fee for adults and children under 10 are welcome free of charge.
• A “Singing and Auction for Soldiers” event, featuring special guests Greg Day, Naomi and the Segos, The Green River Boys and J.J. Waddell, will be held on Saturday, Nov. 13, at 6 p.m. at the Tryon Fine Arts Center, a gallery located at 34 Melrose Ave., in Tryon. All proceeds will go to send care packages to soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Free admission, but donations are encouraged. Info: 859-8322.
• Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church in Asheville presents “Art From the Heart,” a silent auction of original Haitian art, on Sunday, Nov. 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Funds benefit Haitian artists and enable Haitians to deliver health care and education in their own communities. The church is located at 789 Merrimon Ave. Info: 253-0542.
For more on area benefits/fundraisers, check out the “Benefits” section of the Xpress Community Calendar at www.mountainx.com/events.