In a statement on their tour schedule, Drive-By Truckers announced that they “will be forced to cancel the remaining shows on their European tour. The band has been sick for several days and last night Mike Cooley collapsed due to exhaustion and dehydration. Doctors have advised complete bed rest. We are very sorry to cancel shows at the end of this tour, especially in Scandinavia, where the band have such a loyal following. Please know we will make every effort to reschedule these shows sometime in the near future. Thank you for your understanding and your continued support.”
At the time, fans were hopeful that the cancellations would not include the Warren Haynes Christmas Jam on Saturday, Dec. 11. In fact, Blurt Magazine sent this tweet to Xpress: “@mxarts You know them damn @DriveByTruckers gonna be troupers. We’ll see ‘em at @xmasjam rain, shine, illness or tapeworms.”
Nice (if slightly icky) sentiment, but shortly thereafter, the following statement was released: “In addition to canceling the end of their European tour the Drive-By Truckers will also cancel their appearance at Christmas Jam in Asheville, NC. The band needs some much needed and deserved time off and sends their sincerest apologies to Warren and all involved with Christmas Jam. They will be back in full force for their New Year’s Eve run in New York.”
—photo by David Oppenheimer, performanceimpressions.com
• Joe Narde wrote, “Get well Cooley. DBT, you will be sorely missed at the Jam. Allmans would be a great substitute though…”
• Greg Chapman wrote, “DRIVIN N CRYINs a good replacement!”
• John Richart wrote, “add John Popper please”
• Rick Hughes wrote, “Only one solution: BRING ON THE MULE!”
• Eric Barnhill wrote, “can you get railroad earth instead of drive dry truckers that would be great”
Facebook user Rick Hughes notes, “Need substitute Good & FAST. People seem to be dumping tickets. Very disappointing. Love to see the MULE, Derek/Susan or Crowes put in.”
Which leads to the question, how do people feel about the current Christmas Jam lineup? Here’s the most recent roster:
• Featuring: Steve Miller Band, The Warren Haynes Band, Gregg Allman, John Bell (Widespread Panic), Umphrey’s McGee, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Missing Cats.
• Special Guests: Mike Barnes, Cody Dickinson, Fred Eltringham, Sherman Ewing, Ruthie Foster, Audley Freed, John “JoJo” Hermann, Terence Higgins, Ron Holloway, Ron Johnson, Robert Kearns, Kevn Kinney, Ivan Neville.
Let us know who you’re excited to see, who you think Christmas Jam needs to add, and if the current lineup still warrants the ticket price.