Spring arrives and suddenly it’s time to pack away all of winter’s sturdy clothes in favor of pastels and floral prints. We get that, but why not have the best of both worlds? Pretty dresses and chunky boots, sweet hats and serious jewelry, dainty prints and hefty leather goods, soft feathers and fierce spikes. Xpress sourced some of the above for an avant-garde take on springtime looks.
Photographed at Curve Studios and the Curve Studios garden. Modeled by local band For the Birds (Dulci Ellenberger, Amanda Platt, Amber Lyle Sims and Melissa Hyman; learn more about them here). All hats from Chapeaux by Simone, all boots from Twice Round Vintage, all jewelry from Mod. Apparel from Minx, Union, Pattiy Torno and Alena Hennessy. All leather belts, holsters, cuffs and hand guards from Royal Peasantry. See below for outfit details.
Curve Studios & Garden hosts a twilight garden party on Friday, April 27 from 5-8 p.m. as part of its spring 2012 open house weekend (Friday-Sunday, April 27-29). Learn more about participating artists and events here.
1. Black pouf fascinator with vintage chenille dots, $40; stacked bracelets, $35; Ikat print maxi dress by Angi, $78 and peach tank top at Minx; black belt with pockets, $178.
2. (Left to right) On Melissa: Vintage black portrait hat with vintage ribbon and chiffon rose spray, $50; leather and brass necklace (ask about pricing) and brass and red wood beads bracelet, $20; BB Dakota Cruz dress, $100 at Union; kitten heel boots ribbon detail, $22.
On Dulci: Vintage pink gypsy fascinator with pink silk rose, $50; black Esprit ankle boots, $14.
On Amanda: Vintage fine woven Saks Fifth Avenue straw beret with vintage rose brooch/feather spray, $60; QSW Seine Drops dress, $108 at Union; brown leather utility belt, $88; brass and chain bangles (ask about pricing); Western made in USA boots, $24.
On Amber: Brown feather and pleated sinamay fascinator, $40; Jack BB Dakota Ward meadow print dress, $75 at Union; silver and brush gold chain bracelet, $22; dark brown Justin boots, $24.
3. Custom vintage black veil (c. 1960s) and feather fascinator, $40.
4. (left to right) On Melissa: Custom black fascinator with vintage tulle netting and feathers, $50. On Amber: black leather fascinator with vintage veiling, straw and horsehair trim, $45.
5. Vintage black faille and straw Mr. Lewis pillbox (c. 1960s), $50, with bird chignon pin, $12) at Chapeau by Simone; purple wrap dress, $95 by Pattiy Torno; purple wrap, $48 by Alena Hennessy.
6. Purple floppy “belt loop” hat with removable ribbon and black feather/felt rose spray, $45; purple wrap dress, $95 by Pattiy Torno; purple scarf, $38 by Alena Hennessy; studded triangle hand guard, $88.
7. Vintage champagne woven raffia cloche (c. 1950s), $45, worn with a turquoise headband, $12 at Chapeau by Simone; jawbreaker necklace, $24; bird tee, $38 by Alena Hennessy; blue A-line skirt, $60 by Pattiy Torno.
8. Vintage fine weave straw and silk cloche (c. 1960s) with feather spray, $50, worn with a lace flower comb, $10 at Chapeau by Simone; holster, $78; laced leather cuff, $38; peacock tee, $30, by Alena Hennessy; long floral hanky skirt, $85 by Pattiy Torno.