Riverlink’s 2013 summer concert series kicks off this weekend with a trio of local female powerhouse musicians: stephaniesid led by Stephanie Morgan, Mary Frances & The Dirty Classics led by the keys player and vocalist of Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band (that band launches its summer tour this Sunday, and just announced plans for a new album due out this September — more info here) and Molly Parti, the DJ project of the Paper Tiger front woman Molly Kummerle. Concerts begin at 5 p.m.
Gray Line Trolley will provide free shuttle service connecting downtown Asheville and the River Arts District with the RiverMusic site (144 Riverside Drive). Departures are from U.S. Cellular Center (62 Haywood St.), Aloft Hotel (51 Biltmore Ave.) and Glen Rock Depot (372 Depot St.).
5 p.m., 6 p.m., 7 p.m., 8 p.m., 9 p.m., 10 p.m. across from U.S. Cellular Center
5:15 p.m., 6:15 p.m., 7:15 p.m., 8:15 p.m., 9:15 p.m. at Aloft Hotel
5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 9:30 p.m. at Glen Rock Depot
5:45 p.m., 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 9:45 p.m. RiverMusic
• Friday, May 24 — stephaniesid (indie-pop), Mary Frances & The Dirty Classics (soul), Molly Parti (DJ)
• Friday, June 14— David Mayfield Parade (energetic roots/Americana), Underhill Rose (bluegrass/soul, Empire Strikes Brass (funk/rock)
• Friday, July 12 — G.E.D. Soul Records Showcase featuring: DeRobert & The Half-Truths (funk/R&B/soul), AJ & The Jiggawatts (funk/soul), Empire Strikes Brass
• Friday, August 23 — Town Mountain (bluegrass), 23 String Band (old-time), The Flowers (Americana/soul/blues)
• Friday, September 13 — The Big Ol’ Nasty Getdown (feat. members of Parliament Funkadelic, Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band, Mudvayne, The Fritz and more), Bubonik Funk (soul/rock)
Photo of Mary Frances by David Oppenheimer