From Evergreen Community Charter School
Evergreen Community Charter School is celebrating its final Caring Artists for Evergreen (CAFÉ) after a successful 10 years of raising money for the school’s distinctive environmental education program. On March 2, you can “Get your Green On!” with headliner Jon Stickley Trio, alumni from Evergreen’s EMBE marimba band, belly dancing with SamiTe’, a live auction conducted by Brunk Auction’s Andrew Brunk, along with a sampling of the best of Asheville’s food and beverage.
The Jon Stickley Trio will be showcasing their original material, as well as interpretations of bluegrass and jazz music. You can also get in on a dance lesson with SamiTe, who blends traditional and modern forms of belly dancing. The dancing will continue as you move to the beat of marimbas played by 15 Evergreen graduates ranging from high school- to college –age reuniting to celebrate their unique school experience at the Asheville-based charter school.
Evergreen has had enormous support from Asheville’s arts and business community with more than 100 local artists and companies each year donating their works and services to the CAFÉ live and online auctions. This year their support is more vital than ever as Evergreen executes its first capital fundraising project to raise money for the renovation of its 40-year-old gymnasium which also serves as a multi-purpose space.
Evergreen has educated more than 1,000 students since opening its doors in 1999 and has received high praise for its innovative public education model from the local community, state and nation. It was one of two schools in North Carolina named a 2012 Green Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
CAFÉ 10 will be a green event – all cups, plates and eating utensils, which are being donated by Jack’s Boxes, will be compostable and recyclables will be gathered in containers donated by Curbie Sanitation. Great food is provided by local restaurants such as Zambra, Cucina24, Creekside, LAB, Bouchon Bistro, Luella’s Bar-B-Que, Burgermeisters and many more. The event is for those 21 and older and takes place at The Venue on North Market Street in downtown Asheville. Doors open at 7 p.m., and tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the door. Wear your favorite eco-friendly or green attire. So, “Get your Green On!” for Evergreen and have a great time!
Generous businesses sponsoring CAFÉ 10 are Ira Starr & Associates, The Grove Park Inn, Acadia NorthStar, HomeTrust Bank, Marcos Pizzeria, Samsel Architects, Hickory Nut Gap Meats, Lexington Avenue Brewery, Integrated Landscaping of Asheville, Black Box Photography and Greenlife Grocery.
Tickets can be purchased online at www.evergreenccs.org or by calling 828-298-2173.
The auctioneer for the CAFÉ 10 live auction will be Andrew Brunk. Here’s a sampling of the auction items:
· Private bluegrass concert and picnic at Sugar Creek farm in Barnardsville. Enjoy views of pasture, woods and the Blue Ridge Mountains while you and 25 friends feast on local delicacies and listen to a bluegrass band playing on the porch of a 100 year old log cabin, valued at $1,200.
· 16” x 20” medium oil on linen called Fall Brook and Barn painted by artist Richard Oversmith valued at $2,900.
· One week at a vacation home on the river in Oriental, N.C. valued at $700.
CAFÉ 10 online auction begins on February 27. Bidding takes place at www.biddingforgood.com/cafe10. Here is a preview of a few auction items:
· A beautiful 50″ x 62″quilt constructed of 100 percent cotton fabrics using a pattern known as “Southern Criss-Cross” valued at $500.
· A pair of tickets to the Steep Canyon Rangers Mountain Song Festival valued at $200.
· Two daytime admission tickets to Biltmore Estate, which includes a self-guided tour of Biltmore House & Gardens and the new Antler Hill Village featuring the winery, the Biltmore Legacy, Village Green and Farm valued at $130.
· Two Nantahala Outdoor Center whitewater rafting valued at $98.
· Many restaurant gift certificates, art, spa services and more!