Hendersonville rebuilds its historic downtown ‘underground’

Hendersonville Times-News reports:

…Fazio Design group’s Austin Fazio — who owns the basement at 401 N. Main St. — asked the city about the possibility of commemorating the below-ground historic area, which housed a poker club and later the Teen Canteen in the 1940′s and ’50′s until it was closed and covered with the sidewalk.

Built along with the First Bank & Trust Co. building in 1922, the original stairs — flanked by concrete walls akin to a subway entrance — descended from the sidewalk to the club-turned canteen as well as Tom’s Barber Shop, the Blue Bonnet Salon and a shoe-shine parlor. …


SHARE

Leave a Reply