From Wild South:
ASHEVILLE, NC – Regional conservation non-profit Wild South announced today the Nominee Finalists for its 6th Annual Roosevelt-Ashe Conservation Awards. The awards will recognize and honor outstanding work in 2013 to protect wild places and wild things in the South. This year’s nominees represent five Southern states and exemplify dedication and passion for environmental conservation. The winners will be announced and awards will be presented at Wild South’s 6th Annual Green Gala held March 21, 2013 at The Orange Peel in Asheville, NC.
“It takes working together with partners all across our region to provide landscape-level protection; connecting public and private lands, watersheds and coastlines, and people and communities.” said Benjamin Colvin, Wild South’s Development Director. “We believe it is vital to recognize and celebrate the incredible work being done to unite voices for environmental protection, to promote conservation science and education, to advocate for wildlife, and to protect cultural heritage on public lands.”
“These nominees are conservation heroes and have unique, amazing stories of passion for a cause, tenacity, and victory. Wild South’s Roosevelt-Ashe Conservation Awards always attract inspirational nominees, and this year is no exception” said Dusty Allison, Award Selection Committee member.
Community Partners for Wild South’s 6th Annual Green Gala and Conservation Awards include The Green Sage Café, Deltec Homes, Eagles Nest Outfitters, Mountain High Outfitters, Hickory Nut Gap Farm, French Broad Brewing Co., Earth Fare, Smiling Hara Tempeh, Sunburst Trout, Blackbird Frame & Art, Sour Grapes Wines, The Orange Peel and more.
Wild South is a non-profit organization whose mission is to inspire people to enjoy, value, and protect the wild character and natural legacy of the South. For over 20 years we have with thousands of people across millions of acres to protect wild places and wild things across the rich and beautiful Southern landscape.
Wild South’s 6th Annual Roosevelt-Ashe Conservation Award Nominee Finalists:
· Carl Galie (Carl Galie Photography, NC)
· Kathryn Stripling Byer (Freelance Writer, Poet, NC)
· Steve Kemp (Great Smoky Mountains Association, TN)
· Alabama Environmental Council (Birmingham, AL)
· RiverLink (Asheville, NC)
· Rock Creek Outdoors (Chattanooga, TN)
· Carol Ruckdeschel (Cumberland Island National Seashore, GA)
· Danna Smith (Dogwood Alliance, NC)
· Donna Lisenby (Watauga Riverkeeper/WNCA, NC)
· Dr. James Costa (Western Carolina University/Highlands Biological Station, NC)
· Natalie Childers (Carolina Raptor Center, NC)
· Renee Morrison(Jacksonville State University Field School/EPIC)
· Molly Paul (St. Mary’s School, NC)
· Morgan Pennington (Bob Jones High School, AL)
· Neva Warren (Solo Thru-Hiker on the AT, FL)