“Greg Koch is one of the leading young Turks in an industry made up almost exclusively of young Turks. Greg and his colleagues at Stone Brewing Co. helped pioneer the potent, hopforward ales that brought West Coast brewing to the next level,” according to Modern Brewery Age. Stone Brewing is known for its Arrogant Bastard Ale, Stone Pale Ale and Stone IPA, according to Wikipedia.
Photo by StudioSchulz.com
Koch who is co-author of the recently published The Craft of Stone Brewing Company, will be heading to Beer City USA on Oct. 28. His schedule is as follows:
4:30-6:00 p.m.: Bruisin’ Ales: Private Book Signing & Tasting
6:30-7:30 p.m.: Barley’s Taproom Upstairs: Keynote Talk (Book & Entrepreneurship)
8:00-until: Thirsty Monk: Meet The Brewer
In a 2010 interview, T-Wire.com asked Koch: “When did you feel as though, ‘Now we’re viewed as one of the top brewers?’ ” He replied:
When some of the early lists from RateBeer.com and BeerAdvocate.com ranked us among the top breweries in the world. It’s always been my favorite metric. Just this past January, RateBeer came out with their annual list of “Best Brewers in the World 2010.” Stone Brewing came in ninth, but we’re the only brewery that’s been in the top ten each of the ten years they’ve compiled the list. And BeerAdvocate has three Stone brews in the “Top Beers on Planet Earth.” Those are consumer-rating websites, so to me, I can’t think of anything more flattering.
The Craft of Stone Brewing Co. contents are listed as:
• A behind the scenes look at the 15 years of Stone Brewing Co., straight from co-founders Greg Koch and Steve Wagner
• An in-depth history of beer through the ages, revealing how four simple ingredients combine to make liquid magic
• Pointers on properly storing and pouring craft beer, as well as a primer on pairing beer with food
• Recipes from the award-winning Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, including Garlic Cheddar and Stone Ruination IPA Soup, and the (in)famous Arrogant Bastard Ale Onion Rings
• Never before released homebrew recipes including Stone Pale Ale, Stone Smoked Porter, Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine, and Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
The book’s authors, Koch and Steve Wagner, are, according to the stonebrew site, “mad passionate about great beer. As the co-founders of Stone Brewing Co., they’ve become recognized leaders in the craft brewing industry. Greg is also co-author of the recently published The Brewer’s Apprentice: An Insider’s Guide to the Art and Craft of Beer Brewing, Taught by the Masters.”
Here’s a video about Koch and Randy Clemens exploring their madcap urge to market yet another book that Koch helped write: