Listen, folks, you live here for a reason. I’ll bet most most of you ride a bike, blaze trails, paddle and/or enjoy a float down the river every now and then.
Every weekend in the summer, there are a multitude of events and outdoor shenanigans, and it’s your responsibility as an Ashevillean to put down the remote, skip your Netflix-marathon and get outside.
Here are some biggies coming up this weekend:
The annual Blue Ridge Breakaway is this Saturday. Don’t miss this ride if you own a bicycle. They have four different routes, depending on how far you want to push yourself. The longest —- a full 100-mile century — traverses Haywood County and features mountain, valley and farmland views as well as over 30 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are also 25-, 50- and 75-mile routes available.
Asheville on Bikes will be hosting the “Bright Light Biker” on Friday night, Aug. 15, immediately following Downtown After 5. This is a community bike ride for anyone and everyone who feels inspired to light up the streets of downtown on 2 wheels. “Think battery-powered, solar-cell, LED,” reads the AoB website. Riders will meet around 9:15 p.m. on Lexington Avenue. You can also visit the Facebook event page here.
Lastly, there is the Laila Patterson Center Triathalon in Fletcher. Organized by iDaph Events, this triathlon is part of the ’70s/’80s-themed USAT Retro series and is the perfect event to challenge oneself, regardless of competition experience or athletic prowess. If you’re one of those sadists who enjoys swimming (for fun, not for survival), followed by riding a bike at super-human speed (which is then followed by running as fast as you can), then you should give this a try. And feel free to dress like Don Johnson from Miami Vice or a member of the Village People. Bring the kids too. There’s also a “Splash n’ Dash” for those young, aspiring triathletes.
If you have an event or outdoor activity that you would like to see posted just let us know at email@example.com!
- 8/15 – Asheville on Bikes “Bright Light Biker” (following Downtown after 5) More Info
- 8/16 – Blue Ridge Breakaway (Road Cycling – Century on the Parkway) More Info
- 8/16 – Liberty Bikes – Saturday Bent Creek MTB Rides Beginner & Intermediate (Every Saturday) More Info
- 8/16 – Blue Ridge Bicycle Club Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 8/16 – Sycamore Cycles Spin & Grin Road Ride (Every Saturday) More Info
- 8/17 – Pisgah Stage Race – Stage 2 (Pre-Ride) More Info
- 8/16 – Asheville Track Club Saturday Group Run (Every Saturday) Contact information: 828-273-8860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8/16 – Jus’ Running Saturday- Morning Group Run (Every Saturday) More Info
- 8/17 – Leila Patterson Center Triathalon - (Fletcher, NC) More Info
- 8/15 – Asheville Hiking Group – Early Morning Conditioning (10.5 miles, strenuous, 8am @ Folk Art Center) More Info
- 8/16 – Asheville Hiking Group – AT Hike – Tanyard Gap to Hurricane Gap (Meet @ Ingles on Tunnel Rd.) More Info
- 8/16 – WNC Easy Hikers – Big Creek Trail & Midnight Hole @ Great Smokey Mtn. Park More Info
- 8/17 – Asheville Hiking Group – Rough Butt Bald Exploratory – (Meet @ Ingles on Brevard Rd. across from Biltmore Square mall) More Info
- 8/17 – WNC Easy Hikers – Cove Creek & Caney Bottom More Info
Disc Golf / Ultimate
- Now – Asheville Ultimate Club – Fall League Sign-Up Website: http://ashevilleultimate.org/e/2014-fall-league Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AshevilleUltimate