Profession: Retired educator
Funding: Total raised: $5,226.87
Endorsements: Sierra Club
1. Do you favor A) creating a regional water authority, B) giving the existing system to the Metropolitan Sewerage District or C) leaving it under Asheville’s control? Why?
The water system should be under local control with these assurances: Water rates for city and county ratepayers are equal, funds paid into the system are used only for the operation of the system, and water cannot be used as a tool for annexation.
2. Do you support granting domestic-partner rights and/or benefits to Buncombe County employees? (Yes/No) Why?
Buncombe County employees are professional, creative and dedicated to the work they do for Buncombe’s citizens. I value our employees. Buncombe County citizens expect to pay a fair tax rate for services. I value our citizens. I support county government meeting legal requirements in compensation and benefits to our employees.
3. Do you favor offering tax breaks and other economic-development incentives to companies that agree to move here or expand existing facilities and hire local workers? (Yes/No) Why?
As witnessed by the economic-development announcements/openings in Buncombe County during the past several weeks, this practice brings increased job opportunities for our citizens and has a spiraling effect on our local economy.
4. Do you think the county should make funding the Connect Buncombe greenways a high priority? (Yes/No) Why?
Buncombe County Parks, Greenways & Recreation Department is working with our citizens to develop a master plan to connect existing greenways in our municipalities with greenways/paths in the county. … This community pathway of parks, schools, communities and neighborhoods is vital to the livability of our county.
5. What’s the most important role of county government in job creation?
Seeking out and attracting new business and industry that will create jobs for our citizens and at the same time doing whatever possible to protect and assist our existing business and industry.