The deadline to pay Buncombe County property taxes is January 7. After that, a 2 percent interest rate will be added to any unpaid balance on a tax bill and three-quarters of a percent will be added for each month that follows.
Payments postmarked by the postal services on or before Jan. 7 will be counted as on time and not subject to the hike.
Other payment options, via the Buncombe County website include:
Drive-up payment box located at:
• 35 Woodfin Street, where the Tax Department is now located. The payment box is located on the driver’s side of the driveway as you exit 35 Woodfin Street. Payments placed in the drop box anytime on January 7 will be considered on time.
• Credit/Debit Card – on web. (There is a convenience fee for using a credit/debit card – please see the back of your bill.)
• Credit Card – by phone. (See instructions and the phone number on the back of your bill.)
• Electronic Check
If taxes are not paid on time and the taxpayer has not set up a payment plan with the Tax Office, forced tax collection measures may take place at anytime once the bill is past due, according to the Buncombe County website. These measures can include attachment of the taxpayer’s bank account or wage garnishment. Additional fees are included for each of these measures. In addition, banks also charge additional fees for processing bank attachments, the website warns.
The Tax Office encourages taxpayers to contact the Tax Office if their taxes are delinquent:
• By phone at (828) 250-4910
• In person in the Tax Office located at 35 Woodfin Street. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
There are several programs that can help citizens with tax payment including:
• Preauthorized debit program – payments deducted from a checking or savings account each month.
• Prepay taxes – some taxpayers begin making monthly payments as early as January each year and prepay their taxes before they receive a bill in August.
For automated information about tax bills and payments or other tax issues, citizens can access the Automated Information Line by calling 250-4910 and pressing the number “1.” Information on this line includes:
• Office hours
• Holiday schedule
• Last day to pay before interest begins
• Credit card information
• Drive-up payment box directions
* Print bills and receipts online at buncombecounty.org/tax.