As he pledged to do in an e-mail dispatch last Friday, Asheville City Council member Carl Mumpower made an appearance at the Ratdog/Bob Weir concert at the Civic Center’s Thomas Wolfe Auditorium that evening.
After a relatively brief visit to the venue, Mumpower promptly e-mailed City Manager Gary Jackson to report on the purported drug activity he witnessed in and around the concert. Below, the full text of that e-mail, in which the Council member observed that the auditorium “smelled like an Amsterdam hash bar.”
In addition to noting various apparent instances of drug use, Mumpower also offered his opinion that “the music ‘Ratdog’ was good.”
— Jon Elliston, news editor
Sent: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:45 PM
Subject: Civic Center Drug Activity
I went to the civic center this evening and spent about 15 minutes inside with the intention of observing the reported drug activity that occurs at some concert events. I wanted to share my brief observations-
1) Thomas Wolfe auditorium smelled like an Amsterdam hash bar.
2) In the bathroom I observed a gentleman purchase pills and ingest same from another gentleman with a T-Shirt that said something like “I play for mushrooms”.
3) I observed one person in the back balcony smoking a joint and a group of people sharing a joint on the left side of the auditorium.
4) The music “Ratdog” was good.
5) When I arrived at the civic center there were 6-8 officers standing in the front of the building. Most were in uniform.
I would appreciate the opportunity to sit down with to discuss drug enforcement policies for civic center events.