I recently moved into the Hawthorne Northside apartments, and until I read the Mountain Xpress article [“Breaking the Mold,” Oct. 16 Xpress], I did not know there was a mold problem. Thank you for publishing the article. The new management was already working on resolving the mold problem before I moved in. They are working on replacing all the plumbing, and while doing so, looking for any mold. Hawthorne has done a great job informing me of the plans and preparing me for the renovations. Although the old management left this complex in a mess, Hawthorne bought the property to make it a great place to live.
— Colleen O'Connor