Asheville Area Habitat For Humanity
Builds new homes for qualifying families and individuals while preserving existing homes. Info: email@example.com
•Volunteers needed for administrative office duties.
Asheville-Buncombe Technical College
A-B Tech works to offer opportunities for specific job training and retraining and personal enrichment. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 230-6526.
• Volunteers needed to assist in Adult Basic Skills (ABS) and High School Equivalency (HSE, formerly GED) program at Goodwill in West Asheville. Volunteers should be proficient in language arts or math. Session available Tues., Wed., or Thurs. from 9am-noon.
Asheville City Schools Foundation
Works to create strong public schools and break the cycle of poverty. Info: email@example.com or 350-6135.
• Volunteers needed to tutor/ mentor students (k-12). Shifts available Mon.-Fri., 8am-6pm.
• Volunteers needed to tutor Asheville High School/SILSA students. All subjects requested, math tutors especially needed. Once per week 10-10:35am or 3:30-4:30pm.
Big Brothers, Big Sisters of WNC
Helps children thrive through partnerships with trained adult mentors. Info: bbswnc.org or 253-1470
• Volunteers age 18+ needed to accompany youth to free or low-cost activities. Volunteers 16+ needed to mentor one hour per week.
Brother Wolf Animal Rescue
Provides the resources and life-saving programs to build a No Kill community in Buncombe County. Info: bwar.org or 828-230-2156
• Volunteers needed to help care for animals staying in the adoption center and/or foster animals at home.
• Volunteers needed to assist with fundraisers, adoption events and clerical tasks.
Charlie’s Angels Animal Rescue
A shelter and foster network for area cats and dogs based in Fletcher. Info: wncanimalrescue.org or 885-3647.
• Volunteers are needed to foster a dog for 2 to 3 weeks. No costs involved.
Children First CIS of Buncombe County
Provides programs to economically disadvantaged children & families. Info: childrenfirstbc.org
• Volunteers needed for learning centers and after school programs for elementary school children living in public and low-income housing. Mon.-Thurs., 2:30-5:30pm.
Provides a variety of independent living services with the goal of increasing independence and improving quality of life for individuals with disabilities. Info: 298-1977 or disabilitypartners.org
• Volunteers are needed to teach the Basic Computer Skills course. The class is for adults with disabilities and is limited to 6 people. The class must meet two days a month from 12:30p.m.-4 p.m. The two days are the choice of the volunteer, but they need to be consecutive.
Guardian ad Litem
Helps neglected and abused children have a voice to represent their best interests in court in Henderson, Polk, Transylvania, Rutherford and McDowell counties. Info: 694-4215
• Volunteers needed to track case progress and help children express their wishes in court proceedings. Average case takes 8-15 hours per month commitment. Training provided.
Hall Fletcher Elementary
An Asheville City school located in West Asheville. Info: volunteercorner.wordpress.com or 350-6451
• Volunteers needed to assist teachers, maintain school garden and tutor children in math and reading. Shifts available Mondays through Fridays 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Literacy Council of Buncombe County
Works to increase literacy and English language skills. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or 254-3442
• Volunteers needed for the Adult Education Program, which teaches basic reading, writing and spelling. Previous teaching experience not required.
• Volunteers needed for the Augustine Program, which works with low-income children reading below grade level. Previous teaching experience not required.
Loving Food Resources
A special needs food pantry providing food and other items to persons living with HIV/AIDS or in hospice with any diagnosis. Info: 255-9282.
• Volunteers needed for stocking, helping clients shop, driving, food box delivery, sorting, graphic design and office assistance. Shifts available Tue.-Fri.: 9am-noon; Sat.:9am-2pm.
Processes donated food for distribution throughout WNC. Info: mannafoodbank.org or 299-3663.
• Volunteers needed to work in the warehouse. Mon.-Sat. daytime and Thu. evenings.
My Sister’s Place
Works to end domestic violence and sexual assault and provides safe haven for women and their children. Info: 828-649-2582.
• Volunteers needed to work at the thrift store in Marshall, which supports the organization’s clients. Shifts available Mon.-Fri.: 10am-4pm; Sat.: 10-2pm. Volunteers also needed for internet support, fundraising and light building maintenance.
A cultural center in Hendersonville. Info: opportunityhouse.org or 692-0575.
• Volunteers needed to work in the thrift store and front desk.
Pisgah Legal Services
Provides free legal help to people who cannot afford a private attorney. Info: 210-3787 or pisgahlegal.org
• Volunteers needed for the reception area and other administrative areas as needed. Must be 18 years or older to apply.
The Rathbun Center
Provides free lodging to patients and caregivers staying in Asheville for medical treatment. Info: rathbuncenter.org or 251-0595.
• Volunteers needed to support and register guests. Weekend shifts: noon-3pm; 3-6pm; 6-9pm.
WNC AIDS Project
Provides resources and support for AIDS patients and their families. Info: wncap.org or 252-7489.
• Office and clerical volunteers needed for data entry and computer-related tasks during daytime office hours Mon.-Fri.
Advocates for young women’s leadership and welfare. Info: 254-7206, ext. 219
• Volunteers needed for a variety of tasks in the child care department. A background check, a medical questionnaire, TB screening and a minimum age of 16 are required.
• WEDNESDAYS, 7-8pm & SATURDAYS, 11am-12:15 pm – First Congregational United Church of Christ, 20 Oak St. Use back door.
Is your organization in need of volunteers? These listings are provided free to nonprofits operating in Asheville and the greater Asheville area. Submit your information to email@example.com or call 251-1333, ext. 114 for questions.