• The current exhibit at Asheville Area Arts Council’s Front Gallery features another of Skip Rohde’s wonderful satirical paintings about the Bush administration. This one has Rumsfeld and Condoleezza Rice in NASCAR drag. (Japan will be the theme for July at Front Gallery. Along with exhibits of work by Japanese artists, there will be tea ceremonies, Japanese food, flower arranging, and music.)
• Lift Gallery in Cherokee continues to do outstanding exhibits. The current one, Secret Lives, features work by artists who have day jobs.
• Works by Native American artists from across the country will show through the summer at Western Carolina University’s new-ish Fine and Performing Arts Center.
• The Fine Art Center in Highlands, N.C., has borrowed architectural-themed works from the Georgia Museum of Art to kick off the capital campaign for its new building. Brilliant marketing move!
• And speaking of marketing: John Cram is making decisions about what to do with the now-empty street-level space next to Blue Spiral. Whatever he does will probably work — Cram makes a habit of success. Stay tuned …
— Connie Bostic