What it is: The Warren Haynes Christmas Jam is an annual concert that brings together rockers from many bands and genres. Proceeds benefit Asheville Area Habitat For Humanity. "Like a family reunion, the annual, one-of-a-kind, semi-structured marathon of music brings together old friends on stage and in the audience at the Civic Center Arena for one of the countries greatest live events," says the event's website.
Where and when: Saturday, Dec. 11 at the Asheville Civic Center. 7 p.m. Tickets are sold out at press time. Info at xmasjam.com/2010.
• Steve Miller Band — Active since 1967, the Steve Miller Band crafted hits like "The Joker" and "Take The Money and Run" as well as some psychedelic gems like “Fly Like An Eagle.”
• The Warren Haynes Band — Axe man and Asheville native Warren Haynes is known for his work with the Allman Brothers and the Dead, and for fronting his own rock outfit, Gov’t Mule. This new lineup was formed to play Haynes’ soon-to-be-released soul-flavored album. (For more, see the feature story.)
• Gregg Allman — Frontman of eponymous Southern rock band The Allman Brothers, Allman penned enduring hits like "Midnight Rider" and "Sweet Melissa." His most recent endeavor is a spooky, driving blues turn on solo album Low Country Blues, due out next year. Wish him a happy birthday: He just turned 63 on Dec. 8.
• John Bell — Known as JB by his fans, John Bell is the lead singer and rhythm guitarist for rock/jam band Widespread Panic.
• Missing Cats — This duo features Widespread Panic keyboardist John "JoJo" Hermann playing guitar with singer/songwriter Sherman Ewing.
• Umphrey's McGee — Based in Chicago, Umphrey’s Mcgee coined the term "improg." They’re known on the jam circuit but are influenced more by prog rock (Pink Floyd) and metal (Iron Maiden).
• The Dirty Dozen Brass Band — A sprawling, funk/jam collective from New Orleans, known for its horn section. (For more, see the feature story.)
Mike Barnes, Cody Dickinson, Fred Eltringham, Sherman Ewing, Ruthie Foster, Audley Freed, Terence Higgins, Ron Holloway, Ron Johnson, Robert Kearns, Kevn Kinney, Edwin McCain, Ivan Neville.
Christmas Jam by Day:
• Friday, Dec. 10, noon-5 p.m. at the LAB (39 N. Lexington Ave.) — Kevn Kinney's Acoustic Jam includes Kevn Kinney, Drivin' N Cryin', Jake Haldenwang, Aaron LaFalce, and Jamie Dose and Dorsey Parker from Velvet Truckstop.
• Saturday, Dec. 11, noon-5 p.m. at the LAB — Kevn Kinney's Acoustic Jam includes Drivin' N Cryin', Mac Arnold & Plate Full O'Blues and Bobby Miller & The Virginia Daredevils.
• Saturday, Dec. 11, noon-5 p.m. at The Emerald Lounge — Jam includes The Last Straw, Caleb Caudle & The Bayonets,
Velvet Truckstop and Sanctum Sully.
Christmas Jam Art Show:
The rock-oriented art show includes photos by Allison Murphy, Danny Clinch, David Oppenheimer, Dino Perrucci, Don Van Cleave, Jay Blakesberg, Kirk West and Stewart O’Shields as well as poster art by Eugene Serebrennikov (Hyp_inc), Gary Houston, Jeff Troldahl, Steve Johannsen and others. Held at Satellite Gallery (55 Broadway) on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 10 and 11, noon-6 p.m. daily. An opening reception takes place from 4-6 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 10.
More ways to be involved:
• Before the Jam, Lend a Hand volunteer day is Friday, Dec. 10. According to a press release, "Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity, The Christmas Jam and Merrell are joining forces again to provide fans with an opportunity to volunteer." Sign up at Habitat's construction site, at the Habitat Home Store or at volunteerup.com.