• Accent on Books winds up the month with a Friday, May 30, gathering of writers from Jane’s Stories Press. The group’s mission is to “maintain a welcoming circle for writers and editors, and to offer new skills to pursue your goals.” Learn more at the 6:30 p.m. event.
• Outdoor columnist Karen Chávez, author of Best Hikes with Dogs: North Carolina offers a presentation on local dog-friendly hikes. The Saturday, May 31, event takes place at 3 p.m. at Osondu Booksellers (184 N. Main St., Waynesville )
• Spellbound Children’s Bookshop hosts a Fairy Tale Ball on Saturday, May 31. Between 6 and 8 p.m., kids aged 4-12 are invited to come dressed as a favorite fairy tale creature or character. The free party includes food, music, dancing and a balloon fairy.
• Also, in the realm of outdoors reads, Peter Barr, author of Hiking North Carolina’s Lookout Towers will sign copies of his book at the Asheville Barnes & Noble Booksellers (83 S. Tunnel Road) on Sunday, June 1, at 1 p.m.
• Monday, June 2, marks the bi-monthly meeting of WNC Wordmongers, a local writers’ group. Meetings are geared toward publication: critiquing, learning sessions and networking, and the group is open to fiction, narrative nonfiction and memoirs. The meeting runs from 6-9 p.m.; e-mail email@example.com for details.
—Alli Marshall, A&E reporter