Still unsure of how you’d like to celebrate Independence Day? Should you gobble up hot dogs in a public park while waiting for a municipal fireworks show? Should you ditch the masses and rock out at a club? It’s a tough call. If you still can’t decide, may we suggest that you take a look at our Mountain Xpress Events Calendar and Clubland sections?
And, just in case that’s too much work for you while you tick off the minutes until your day off tomorrow, we’ve included a cheat sheet below.
• Asheville: 4-10pm – Ingles’ Fourth of July Celebration at Pack Square and College St. Live music, crafts, carnival games, food, prizes and more. Fireworks will begin at 10pm. Free.
• Hendersonville: 1pm – Independence Day Parade on Main St. Info: 697-2022—- Celebration at Jackson Park. Games, music and fireworks, which will begin at dusk. Info: 697-4884.
• Brevard: 9am-4pm – The 35th Fine Arts and Crafts Showcase in conjunction with Heart of Brevard’s Fourth of July Celebration and Transylvania Region AACA Classic Car Show. The 3-festivals-in-1 will feature music, arts, crafts, food, children’s activities and more.
• Leicester: 11am-5pm – Traditional music by local musicians and an ice cream stand to support the ball field. Food will include hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans and more. Bring lawn chairs. At the Leicester Community Center, 2979 New Leicester Hwy. $5/$3 for children 4-12/Free for children 3 and younger.
• Black Mountain: 7-9pm – The annual Fourth of July Street Dance on Sutton Ave. The WOXL house band will perform. Plus, crafts for the kids, clowns, face painting, food, artists’ drawings and lots more. Fireworks will begin at dark. Free.
• Lake Julian: The Sky Is Afire at Lake Julian. Bring the family to see this year’s fireworks display with synchronized holiday music by 96.5 WOXL at Buncombe County’s Lake Julian Park . Spend the day fishing, boating, picnicking and then join in the fireworks celebration. Shuttle transportation provided. Info: 684-0376.
• Asheville Brewing Company: Downtown Get Together
• Blue Mountain Pizza: Locomotive Pie
• Blue Mountain Pizza: Open Mic
• Blue Ridge Music Center: Maggie Anderson (songs & stories)
• Broadway’s: ‘80s Night
• Cowboy’s Lounge: Free Flight
• Decades Bar & Grill: Shag night
• Ed Boudreaux’s BBQ: Woody Wood (rock)
• Elaine’s Dueling Piano Bar at the Grove Park Inn: Non-stop rock’n roll sing-a-long party show, 8pm-1am
• French Broad Brewery Tasting Room: Valorie Miller (singer-songwriter)
• Grove Park Inn Great Hall: Bill Covington (classics), 6-7pm—- Maddy & Masterpiece (dance band), 7-11pm
• Grove Park Inn Horizons: Lajos Pagony (piano), 6-10pm
• Ham’s: Open mic with A Social Function
• Hannah Flanagan’s H’ville: Open mic
• Hookah Joe’s: Jaimee Tomas (folk)
• Jack of the Wood Pub: Sons of Ralph
• Joli Rouge: July 4 PatRIOT party w/ All American Beach Party Bar-b-que, Rabia & Pox Americana
• Lobster Trap: Carolina Sky (bluegrass)
• Razcal’s Restaurant & Lounge: Live Misbehavin’ 70s & 80s standards
• Root Bar Number One: Max Chain & friends
• Ruby’s BBQ Shack: Live blues band
• Soul Infusion Tea House & Bistro: Quanta (American jam)
• The Back Room: Open Mic
• The Emerald Lounge: Better Beats Bureau presents funk night
• Town Pump: Open mic w/ Parker Brooks
• Tressa’s Downtown Jazz & Blues: Ms. Jones & the Velvetones
• Vincenzo’s Bistro: Bob Sullivan
• Whiskey Tavern: Acoustic Night with Rocky and Johnny
• Wild Wing Cafe: Social Function
• Z Lounge: Salsa night