No cover charge
• Groove Collector plays funky party favorites at Eleanor’s Sports Bar (430 North Main St., Hendersonville, 692-3100). 9:30 p.m.-1:30 a.m.
• Mo Daddy’s (77 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 258-1550) kicks off the New Year with Woody Wood and Hollywood Red. (Impress your date with a $5 black bean burrito at Mamacita’s before the show for extra budget points.)
• Lots of ambiance, no cover charge: Fatty’s Jazz Quartet plays Zambra (85-A W. Walnut St., Asheville, 232-1060) starting at 8 p.m.
• Pizza + free music = New Year’s Eve at Barley’s (42 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 255-0504) aptly-named “Freedom Bash” with Silver Machine. (The band suggests you “Wear your moonboots and tip your bartenders!”)
• A Social Function struts its made-for-partying sound at Magnolia’s Raw Bar (26 Walnut St., Asheville, 251-5211).
— Alli Marshall, A&E reporter