Thursday, April 30
• South Carolina-based Angela Easterling (she of the roots music and cute dresses—see picture) returns to French Broad Brewery for a 6 p.m. show. Free.
• Now You See Them plays Pisgah Brewery (150 Eastside Dr., Black Mountain, 669-0190). 6 p.m., free.
• Bluegrass outfit Branded Heart puts in a free 6:30 p.m. appearance at Fiddlin’ Pig (28 Tunnel Rd., Asheville, 251-1979).
• Self-proclaimed “dirty-tonk” quintet The Trainwreks play the Rocket Club (401 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 505-2494). 9 p.m., $5.
• Empty Slate gears up for a groovy, Latin-jazz-reggae-funk jam at The Boiler Room (11 Grove St., Asheville, 505-1612). 10 p.m., $5.
Friday, May 1
Marshall Railroad Depot Friday Night Music and Dance is a standing engagement at the Old Railroad Depot (Highway 25/70, Marshall, 649-2436). 6 p.m., free.
• And more mountain music: A decade-long standing tradition at the Rockett Building (Old Fort, 888-233-6111) includes bluegrass and traditional music; coffee and sodas available for a quarter. 7 p.m., free.
• Habibigy, the new project of former Barrel House Mama Eleanor Underhill, puts in a 9 p.m. appearance at Jack of the Wood (77 Coxe Ave., Asheville, 255-4077). $5.
• Atlanta rockers Mister Fernando take the stage at Wild Wing Cafe (161 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 253-3066). 10 p.m.
Saturday, May 2
• Americana and roots band Redheaded Stepchild performs for tips at the Asheville City Market (Public Works building, South Charlotte St., Asheville, 242-6881). 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
• The Flat Rock Merchants Association presents an outdoor Summer Music Series. Jazz and blues group Jean Calvert and Company perform on Little Rainbow Row’s back deck (behind the shops on the corner of Greenville Hwy. and West Blue Ridge Rd., Flat Rock, 697-7719). Family-oriented; bring a lawn chair. 6-8 p.m., free.
• Bluegrass artists Brushfire Stankgrass will be at Hannah Flanagan’s (27 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 252-1922). 9 p.m.
• Local Americana act The Honeycutters hold their CD release party for new disc Irene at Jack of the Wood (77 Coxe Ave., Asheville, 255-4077). 9 p.m., $5.
Sunday, May 3
• The Autumn Players Reader’s Theatre Showcase performs Martin Sherman’s Rose at the Reuter Center on the UNCA campus (One University Heights, Asheville, 251-6140). 2:30 p.m., $5.
• St. Matthias’ Episcopal Church (1 Dundee St., Asheville, 252-0643) hosts a 3 p.m. classical music concert by a 20-voice chamber choir and 34-piece orchestra. Featured: Bach’s “Cantata No. 137,” Dvorak’s “Te Deum” and an Ave Maria by Biebl. Donations accepted toward the restoration of the historic church.
—Alli Marshall, A&E reporter