The combination of a tight budget and post-holiday cabin fever can get ugly. But before you Hulu.com yourself into a stupor, check out just how far you can stretch the change in your couch cushions with this round up of free (or almost free) entertainment:
Thursday, Jan. 8
• For the price of a drink and a tip, check out the pop and rock tunes of Aaron LaFalce at Vincenzo’s Piano Bar (10 Market St., Asheville, 254-4698). 7:30 p.m.
• The Nova Echo and Einstein’s Dream play the weekly “Winter Cash Flow Relief Show” at Stella Blue (55 College St., Asheville, 236-2424). 8 p.m. Cover is $5; PBR is a mere 50-cents.
• Three bands for $3: The Judas Horse with Shane Perlowin and Body of John the Baptist at Brevard Place (78 Brevard Rd, Asheville). 8 p.m.
• Four bands for $5: Sonmi Suite with Moving Temple, Peripheral and Bookworm at The Boiler Room (11 Grove St., Asheville, 505-1612). 9 p.m.
• De Capo Trio brings live jazz to BoBo Gallery (22 Lexington Ave., Asheville, 254-3426) for $3. 10 p.m.
Friday, Jan. 9
• Jenny Greer of Jen and the Juice puts on a free, solo performance at the Asheville Arts Council (11 Biltmore Ave., Asheville) at 6 p.m.
• Acoustic duo Higher Ground takes the stage at the Well Bred Bakery (46 N. Main St., Weaverville) for a free show. 7 p.m.
• Jason Ross Martin’s oddSTAR announces a Purple Flag CD release party at The Birdhouse (65 King St., Asheville). No cover. 8 p.m.
• Also free: A Social Function at Magnolia’s (26 Walnut St., Asheville, 251-5211). 10 p.m.
• Got $3? Fred’s Speakeasy (122 College St., Asheville, 281-0920) hosts”Beer, Boots & Bitches: The debut of Asheville’s only all girl honk-a-billy band.” 10 p.m.
• Got $5? Try the Skew Records showcase at the new French Bar (12 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-6445); cover band The Sharkadelics at the Hangar (Holiday Inn Airport, Fletcher, 684-1213); and qirky trio Now You See Them at Hookah Joes (38-B N. French Broad, Asheville, 252-1522).
Saturday, Jan. 10
• Billing themselves as “a band for hire,” bluegrass outfit QuarterHouse plays for donations at Feed & Seed (3715 Hendersonville Rd., Asheville, 216-3492). 7:30 p.m.
• Tennessee Hollow headlines a local showcase with Wood Pines and The Humbuckers at The Orange Peel (101 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-5851). $5. 9 p.m.
• Also $5: The Secret B-Sides holds its CD release party at BoBo Gallery (22 Lexington Ave., Asheville, 254-3426). For another $5, take home the CD, Live On The Mothership. 10 p.m.
—Alli Marshall, A&E reporter