By the time the weekend rolls around, you’ll probably have spent your cash on Phish or the Beastie Boys. Or maybe you’re saving up for a long weekend at the beach. Whatever. Here’s the Shoestring lowdown of nearly everything you can do (legally) for five bucks or less. (The Hellblinki Sextet, pictured here in a photo by M. A. Battilana, performs at a free sideshow outside the Orange Peel on Saturday night.)
Thursday, June 11
• Speaking of that beach getaway, here’s how to do it sooner — without the cost, the drive or the sand in your shoes. The Tropical Thursdays series (a benefit for the WNC Down Syndrome Alliance) kicks off this week at the Haywood Park Hotel Atrium. What it is: Music by The Caribbean Cowboys Band and other groups, raffles, food from The Bier Garden and drinks from Magic Hat Brewing Company. Donations are accepted, but there’s no cover. Sound fun? Tropical Thursdays happen June 18 and 25 as well, 5:30-11 p.m. Info: 252.0218.
Friday, June 12
• Thrash band Boy In Sleep joins Kings Of Prussia, Lecivius & As Sick As Us at a Metal Showcase at The Orange Peel (101 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-5851). The all-ages show kicks off at 9 p.m., $5.
• Punk quartet Disnomiac calls itself the “worst band ever.” According to the group’s MySpace page, “We’re that band that never practices but plays shows anyway. Come out to a show if you feel like seeing us play the same 12 shitty songs progressively worse the longer we are a band.” See if the claim holds true at a house show (720 Reed St., Asheville) with Status Faux, Just Die and others TBA. 8 p.m., $5.
• Vintage swing act The Space Heaters perform at Jack of the Wood (95 Patton Ave., Asheville, 252-5445) beginning at 9 p.m. $5.
• Local jam-band ChesterFace plays for free at Ruby’s BBQ Shack (8 Beverly Rd., Asheville, 299-8183). 9 p.m.
• Bluegrass band Big Daddy Love puts in a 9 p.m. appearance at The Back Room (2702 Greenville Hwy., Suite C, Singleton Centre, Flat Rock, 697-6828).
• According to Asheville’s DJ Shorty, “If you like Benny Benasi, DJ Bam Bam and DJ Irene, then you’ll love DJ Shorty.” Still on the fence? DJ Shorty spins for free at Wild Wing Cafe (161 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 253-3066). 9:30 p.m.
• Funk-fusion band Dashvara gets all trippy-like at Hookah Joe’s (38 N French Broad Ave. # B, Asheville, 252-1522). 10 p.m., $5.
Saturday, June 13
• The River Arts District Studio Stroll starts bright and early-ish at 10 a.m. (runs til 6 p.m. both Saturday & Sunday this weekend). More than 110 artists open their work spaces for visitors and the Asheville Historic Trolly Tours provide hop-on-and-off shuttle service for $5. See art, hear live music, snack, drink Wedge beer, hang out with friends.
• Honky-tonk act Cary Fridley & Down South perform to the happy hour crowd at French Broad Brewery. 6 p.m., free.
• Sideshow The Eyelash Carpets performs outside the Orange Peel (101 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 225-5851) in conjunction with ABSFest. Local artist/performer/shopowners Lotus and Daniella of More Than Mammal will also do their thang: Watch for the Tattooed Lady, Walrus Boy, knife throwing, fire dancing, fortune telling and music by The Hellblinki Sextet (pictured; photo by M. A. Battilana). 7:30 p.m., free.
• Winston-Salem’s experimental indie-tech trio pregnancies. claims to be playing it’s last in-state show forever. Catch the band at a free house party (178 Bartlett Street, Asheville) with Terrance and the Tall Boys “and like 90 other bands.” 8 p.m.
• Asheville’s Secret B-Sides now have an official fan page on Myspace. (It looks suspiciously like the band’s regular MySpace page.) Join the throngs of admirers at Never Blue (119 South Main Street, Hendersonville) for a free show. 8 p.m.
• Rock-soul-honky-tonk-man-about-town Joshua Singleton takes the stage at Jack of the Wood (95 Patton Ave., Asheville, 252-5445) at 9 p.m. $5.
• Asheville’s Stereofidelics are at Westville Pub (777 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 225-9782) at 9 p.m. $5.
• Atlanta’s The Falcon Lords — a theatrical, indie-pop trio — play Mo Daddy’s (77 Biltmore Ave., Asheville, 258-1550). 9:30 p.m., “cheap.”
• How else to wrap a Saturday than with funk? The Funk Messengers promise to deliver at The Rocket Club (401 Haywood Rd., West Asheville, 505-2494). The 10 p.m. Live Art After Dark show includes Melodius Culture and live painting by local artists. $5.
—Alli Marshall, A&E reporter