The pickings are a little slimmer this week. I’m guessing it has something to do with that spendy holiday — the one with the chocolates and hearts and dinners out and fancy undies. But there’s nothing wrong with taking your highfalutin drawers on the town for a bargain-priced concert, right? In that spirit, here are some sweet deals for the coming weekend.
Friday, Feb. 13:
• Not feeling the $45 ticket price for Rhonda Vincent at the Bluegrass First Class Festival? Here’s your twang fix: Charleston, S.C.‘s acoustic country duo Union County plays Black Bear Coffee (318 N. Main St., Hendersonville) at 7 p.m. $5.
• Local country/Americana septet Deep River will be at Feed & Seed (3715 Hendersonville Road, Fletcher) at 7:30 p.m. By donation.
• Experimental/psychedelic act King Tut plays a free show at BoBo Gallery (22 Lexington Ave., Asheville) with La Strada and Birdlips. 8 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 14:
• Recently wed (‘cause love is in the air) and returned to Asheville, Sweet Water Revolver (duo Ashleigh and Rama, also the founders of eco/social mission The Love Seed Perma-Culture Project) will be at West Side Clippers (755 Haywood Road, West Asheville) at 4 p.m. Anyone who’s heard the stunning harmonies that Ashleigh and Rama achieve knows the magic of this world-traveling couple.
• Chris Cates & the MasterPlan (pictured) was named “2008 Earthday Asheville Rockband of the Year.” Front man Cates is something akin to a Carolina Jimmy Buffet, his easy-going rock incorporating elements of folk, shag and soul into his sometimes-sentimental and always place-oriented songs. The group plays a free “Intimate Valentine’s Show” with “a special focus on his love songs” at CornerHouse Cafe (54 Patton Ave., Asheville). 6 p.m.
• More budget romance: Soul act The Secret B-Sides plays a free show at Warren Wilson College’s Sage Cafe (701 Warren Wilson Road, Swannanoa). 10 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 15:
• Looking for a little salvation (or at least some good gospel)? On Sunday, The 14th annual Bluegrass First Class is free to all. The gospel concert kicks off at 11:30 a.m. with Brothers 4 Him at Crowne Plaza Resort (1 Resort Drive, Asheville).