Thread magazine fundraiser

Publishers of local style/music/arts magazine Thread want you to know that “Art Matters!” To which you respond, “Well, duh.” But knowing that and supporting the concept are two different things, and the indie publication hopes area art lovers will help make the magazine’s continued efforts possible.

Creator and editor Erica Stepanian sees publication as more of an art form than a commercial venture. Readers of Thread‘s inaugural issue were treated to photography, music features, art reviews and interviews of local artists, by other local artists. That insider perspective is rarely accomplished by ad-driven media, but Thread‘s labor-of-love approach makes for off-kilter features and edgy points of view.

The second issue — free on newsstands some time this month — offers more insider perspective on the local, burgeoning arts scene. To drum up support (especially that of the financial ilk), the magazine holds its Art Matters fundraiser at The Satellite Gallery (55 Broadway, Asheville, 505-2225) on Wednesday, April 30. The 8 p.m. party includes performances by Seth Kauffman and Ashes in Order, food from Mela, Green Sage and Bar 100, and a live art auction (60 percent of auction proceeds going directly to the artists; the remaining 40 percent offsets Thread‘s production costs.)  $10, tickets available  
at Harvest Records (415 Haywood Road, West Asheville, 258-2999) and at Minx (64 North Lexington Ave., Asheville, 225-5680). 

— Alli Marshall, A&E reporter


Thanks for reading through to the end…

We share your inclination to get the whole story. For the past 25 years, Xpress has been committed to in-depth, balanced reporting about the greater Asheville area. We want everyone to have access to our stories. That’s a big part of why we've never charged for the paper or put up a paywall.

We’re pretty sure that you know journalism faces big challenges these days. Advertising no longer pays the whole cost. Media outlets around the country are asking their readers to chip in. Xpress needs help, too. We hope you’ll consider signing up to be a member of Xpress. For as little as $5 a month — the cost of a craft beer or kombucha — you can help keep local journalism strong. It only takes a moment.

About Alli Marshall
Alli Marshall has lived in Asheville for more than 20 years and loves live music, visual art, fiction and friendly dogs. She is the winner of the 2016 Thomas Wolfe Fiction Prize and the author of the novel "How to Talk to Rockstars," published by Logosophia Books. Follow me @alli_marshall

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

2 thoughts on “Thread magazine fundraiser

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.