• Who she is: Cassie Coleman
• What she’s wearing: Patterned shirt from Express, green cardigan given to her by a friend who lives in Paris, and red shoes purchased at the Goodwill on Patton, because — as Cassie puts it — “I like ’em. They’re kinda gaudy, but everyone needs a pair of red shoes.”
• Why we love it: Like Audrey Tautou’s character in the 2001 French film, Cassie knows how to put together rich colors and mix contemporary clothing with vintage pieces. The result? A well-traveled outfit with European sensibilities and edgy sophistication: perfect for sipping lattes at a sidewalk cafe or jotting poetic letters on a park bench.
Try this on
Spice up your winter wardrobe with cozy-yet-stylish tights. That’s right — tights are no longer just for elementary-school girls — but the same idea applies. Thick cable and sock-knit leggings provide warmth and whimsy. Fun patterns, thigh-highs and over-the-knee styles are naughty-but-nice. Here’s where to find ’em:
• The Ineffable Woman (6 Walnut St.) carries luxurious cashmere thigh-highs and other erotically charged legwear.
• Sayley Girl (195 Charlotte St., 225-5788) offers thick Nouvella tights and a wide array of woolly legwarmers.
• Greenlife Grocery (70 Merrimon Ave., 254-5440), Earth Fare (Westgate Parkway, 253-7656) and the French Broad Food Co-op (90 Biltmore Ave., 255-7650) all stock Maggie’s Organics tights, a line of eco-friendly natural-fiber stockings.