Take it from the Me Decade
• Who he is: Rob Livingston of the Feral Chihauhuas
• What he’s wearing: A red ’80s vest from Ragtime over a blue jacket from Spiritex, corduroys from Goodwill and black-and-red Tredair shoes bought on ebay.
• Why we love it: For anyone who grew up during the 1980s and wasn’t a Huey Lewis fan, Rob’s retro style hits just the right note. From the swoon-worthy, skater-inspired hair to the punk-chic footwear and ubiquitous puffer, this look is so nostalgic it’s new again.
Try this on
As winter drags its heels and cabin fever sets in, now’s the perfect time to stitch, knit, crochet, applique and embroider away the long cold nights. Craft stores, group, books and patterns abound locally. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
• It’s still chilly enough for hats and scarves. Pick up cozy yarns at Enchanted Forrest (235 Merrimon Ave., 236-0688), Asheville North Carolina Home Crafts (1 Page Ave., 350-7556), Purl’s Yarn Emporium (51 College St., 253-2750) and Yarn Paradise (6 All Souls Crescent, 274-4213).
• Add romance to your closet with Folkwear Patterns (Tibetan panel coat, anyone?), available at EarthGuild (33 Haywood St., 255-7818) and Waechter’s Silk Shop (94 Charlotte St., 252-2131).
• Join a Stitch ‘n’ Bitch: Make friends, do crafts, drink beer. The local group meets at Westville Pub (777 Haywood Road) on Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. For info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.