Press release from event organizers:
Asheville, NC — All are invited to join a rally against the rollout of “5G” cell towers on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 from 4:00 – 5:30 pm at Pack Square in downtown Asheville. As one of at least 25 rallies across the U.S. among 100 organizations on 5G Crisis National Day of Action, Stop 5G Asheville believes a moratorium on the rollout of 5G is critical, due to the serious health effects associated with exposure to 5G’s high-frequency wireless radiation. Unlike current, lower wireless frequencies, 5G will utilize millimeter waves, used for radar signals, airport security, and crowd control by the U.S. Department of Defense. The relatively “small cell” towers for 5G will be erected next to homes, schools, and businesses, resulting in involuntary, 24/7, long-term exposure to unprecedented radiation levels. Peer-reviewed studies show that millimeter waves increase the incidence of damage to skin, eyes, DNA, cardiac and immune systems. This exposure will be dangerous for all living things, and particularly dangerous for children.
Background: Following significant lobbying by the wireless industry, the NC General Assembly passed a law in 2017 called Wireless Infrastructure Siting, which will allow 5G “small cell” antennas on any public right-of-way in NC, including next to homes, schools, playgrounds and workplaces. NC’s law is considered one the most aggressive of the 20 or more 5G laws around the U.S. because it strips the authority of local governments to regulate the placement of 5G’s small cell antennas.
More than 10,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies have shown that long-term, chronic exposure to wireless radiation causes biological harm, overwhelming the body’s biological, chemical and electrical systems, and creating an opportunity for serious medical issues ranging from neurological problems and cognitive deficits to cancer.
The NC-based National Toxicology Program (NTP), found “clear evidence of carcinogenesis” in its $30 million study of wireless radiation, with final results released in 2018. The NTP study is considered the world’s gold-standard experimental study on wireless radiation. Located Research Triangle Park, NTP is part of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
Two hundred and thirty-one (231) scientists and MDs from 42 countries have signed the 5G Appeal, urging a moratorium on the rollout of 5G to protect the health of humans and the environment. The appeal, initially submitted to the European Union in 2017, states: “5G will substantially increase exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields on top of the 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, etc. for telecommunications already in place. Radio frequency radiation has been proven to be harmful for humans and the environment.”
Children are highly vulnerable to wireless radiation. Their skulls are smaller and thinner, resulting in deeper penetration into their brains and absorbing twice the radiation of adults – and as much as ten times the radiation into their bone marrow. Their vulnerability also stems from their developing immune, nervous, and reproductive systems. Because they are still growing, their stem cells are rapidly dividing, and more vulnerable to all toxins.
In a U.S. Senate Hearing on February 6, 2019, the wireless industry admitted there has been no research done on the safety of 5G. Indeed, there are no studies proving that wireless radiation is safe. The Federal Communications Commission, whose wireless “safety standards” are now more than 20 years old, accounts only for thermal effects, or the heating of the skin. The FCC is not a health organization, is run by former tele-communications executives, and has persisted in upholding some of the world’s most permissive, pro-industry radiation standards, as documented in Captured Agency, an investigative report published by Harvard University’s Safra School of Ethics.The Environmental Health Trust’s 20 Quick Facts on What You Need to Know about 5G is an excellent overview of this complex issue, siting numerous peer reviewed studies. For reliable, non-industry information on 5G, visit any of these websites:
- Environmental Health Trust on 5G: https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/5g-internet-everything/
- SaferEMR.com by Joel Moskowitz, PhD, UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- WhatIs5G https://whatis5g.info/ includes how 5G will effect health, cybersecurity, energy consumption
- Physicians for Safe Technology: https://mdsafetech.org/problems/5g/
- AmericansForResponsibleTech.org : See their map for all the U.S. locations of rallies on 5/15:Below is a recent sampling of the growing international opposition to 5G network rollouts:
- Portland Oregon city officials in the US stated their opposition to the installation of 5G networks around the city, supported by the mayor and two commissioners. (3/24/2019)
- Florence, Italy, applied the precautionary principle by refusing permission for 5G infrastructure (3/28/19)
- Plans for a pilot project to provide high-speed 5G wireless internet in Brussels Belgium been halted due to health concerns. Environment Minister Céline Fremault said that “The people of Brussels are not guinea pigs whose health I can sell at a profit. We cannot leave anything to doubt.” (4/1/19)
- The California Supreme Court Justices unanimously upheld a 2011 San Francisco ordinance requiring telecommunications companies to get permits before placing small cell antennas on city infrastructure. (4/5/19)
- Geneva, Switzerland adopted a motion for a moratorium on 5G, calling on the Council of State to request WHO to monitor independent scientific studies to determine any possible harmful effects of 5G. (4/11/19)
The May 15th rally is organized by Stop 5G Asheville, a group of concerned residents working to raise public awareness about the dangers of 5G and ultimately to stop the 5G rollout in our area. The 5G Crisis National Day of Action is coordinated by Americans for Safe Technology, a national non-profit, based in New York State, that is committed to promoting new technologies that protect the health, safety, security, privacy and property values of our fellow Americans.