Press release from Asheville Police Department:
The Asheville Police Department (APD) is actively investigating seven shootings that happened over a three-day period beginning on Thanksgiving, November 26. Two people were injured, and one juvenile passed away after being shot multiple times.
Detectives with the Asheville Police Department have been working through the weekend to investigate these shootings. There is evidence that at least one of the shootings is related to the Gay Street homicide. Detectives are evaluating the other incidents in order to determine if they are linked as well.
The Asheville Police Department is committed to addressing violent crime in our community. Since January 1, 2020 the Asheville Police Department has responded to 593 calls for service regarding a gun discharge or an individual who has been shot. In addition, 44 individuals have been shot in Asheville during the same time period.
If anyone has any information on any of these incidents they are encouraged to contact the Asheville Police Department at (828) 252-1110.
November 26, 2020
- Shortly before 2 a.m. on November 26, APD responded to a report of gunshots being fired into an occupied home on Hillendale Road in east Asheville. The officers arrived to find that the home had been shot by three bullets from a handgun while residents were inside. Officers also found a vehicle parked in front of the home had been shot multiple times. Fortunately, no one was injured.
- At 10:15 p.m. on November 26, APD responded to a report of a person being shot at 482 Deaverview Road in west Asheville. Officers arrived and found a male victim who had been shot in the head. The investigation shows that the victim arrived in the parking lot and was quickly approached by the suspect. The suspect shot the victim before running away from the scene on foot. The victim was transported to Mission Hospital, where he remains in serious, but stable condition.
November 27, 2020
- At 11:50 a.m. on November 27, APD responded to a report of gunshots on Livingston Street in the Southside community. The officers arrived to find that a vehicle had been shot, causing the driver to crash into a utility pole. The driver was not injured. An investigation found that the vehicle driven by the victim was being chased by another vehicle occupied by several suspects. At least one of these suspects fired at the victim’s vehicle on Depot Street. The suspect vehicle left the scene before APD officers arrived.
November 28, 2020
- At 12:15 a.m. on November 28, APD responded to Mission Hospital where a person who had been shot was taken. The officers found that the victim was shot in the arm in a parking lot in the 600 block of Hendersonville Road. The victim was found to have non-life threatening injuries.
- At 8:30 a.m. on November 28, APD responded to a report of shots being fired near the Montford baseball field at 90 Gay Street in north Asheville. The officers arrived to find a 17-year-old male who had been shot multiple times. Officers provided aid to the victim until paramedics arrived. The victim was taken to Mission Hospital, where he passed away a short time later. Detectives have identified persons of interest in this case.
- At 6:50 p.m. on November 28, APD responded to an occupied home on Shiloh Road that had been shot. The officers arrived to find that the home was occupied by a number of adults and children at the time of the shooting, and that no one had been injured. At least one gunshot was fired into the front of the home, and traveled through several walls inside. A neighboring home, which was also occupied at the time of the shooting, was struck three times.
- At 11:30 p.m. on November 28, APD officers were in the Southside community when they heard gunshots nearby. Officers located an occupied home on Pine Grove Avenue that had been struck by at least 8 gunshots. A number of adults and children were inside the home at the time of the shooting, and fortunately no one was injured. At least one of the gunshots went through an exterior wall and into the living room, barely missing two people who were inside.