Press release from Asheville Police Department:
The Asheville Police Department is seeking information on the identity of the owner of a dog, who was at the Octopus Garden (140 Airport Road) on June 30, 2018 at approximately 11:53 am. The victim was treated for minor injuries. If the owner is not located within the next 24 hours the victim will be required to receive the rabies post-exposure regimen of shots.
If anyone knows the identity of the owner they are encouraged to contact the Asheville Police Department at (828) 252-1110.
If you have been bitten by a dog:
1. Get as much information as reasonably possible about both the owner and the dog(s).
- Full name, phone number, address and physical description of the dog owner.
- Full description and rabies tag information (tag number and issuer) of the dog(s).
2. Report the bite the local Animal Services Division. In Asheville, contact (828) 252-1110. An Animal Services Officer will respond. This may initially be done by phone.
3. After any bite a dog will be placed on a 10-day quarantine. Often times this quarantine occurs at home, with the owner.
4. If an owner cannot be located within 72 hours after a bite the victim should start the post-exposure rabies series, per Health Department protocol.