Press release from the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce:
The Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce invites artists to submit an outdoor sculpture for display at the Asheville Visitor Center, located at 36 Montford Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801. Up to three sculptors will be selected to participate and receive a $1,500 honorarium.
The show titled “Together, We Are More” is a collaboration between the Asheville Chamber and Lenoir-Rhyne University Center for Graduate Studies of Asheville (who share the building) along with adé PROJECT, a multi-generational, intersectional grassroots cooperative bringing together la indígena and artists of color that actualize equity, spark creative inquiry and reclaim the narrative of the South. The exhibit will showcase sculptures on the Visitor Center front lawn and engage visitors in the history of Asheville – past, present, and future. Sculptures will be selected and installed in the landscaped garden between the Visitor Center main entrance and visitor parking. The site offers excellent exposure to Asheville tourists and residents as well as visitors to the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce and Lenoir-Rhyne University.
“As residents of Asheville and Buncombe County, we weave a rich tapestry in the place we call home. Our stories, experiences and identities form the crucial building blocks of our community. This show will highlight those stories and experiences,” said Layton Hower, the Asheville Chamber’s Vice President of Finance and Operations who is helping to coordinate the exhibit.
Artist submissions are due April 21st at www.ashevillechamber.org/art.
TIMELINE + IMPORTANT DATES
March 26 – Call for Artists Opens
April 21 – Deadline to Submit an Entry
April 22 – 28 – Digital Review by Selection Committee
April 29 – May 5 – Artist Jury by Selection Committee
May 5 – May 9 – Site Visits & Final Review by Selection Committee
May 10 – Selected Artists Announced
June 15 – Early Installation
July 1 – Final Installation Deadline
post-July 1, TBD – Community Engagement Event at Asheville Visitors Center
July 1, 2019 – May 15, 2020 – Exhibition period
Concrete slab #1 – 44 x 32 x 4 inches
Concrete slab #2 – 36 x 36 x 4 inches
Lawn area – on the green
● Artist must be a resident of Buncombe County.
● Submissions must be original, but may be either new or pre-existing works.
● Must be physically safe to all ages and populations of visitors to the Visitors Center.
● Must withstand accidental contact by visitors and onlookers (i.e. non-collapsible). Selection committee reserves the right to refuse use of materials or installation that may be deemed hazardous.
● Must be able to be bolted to concrete slab or otherwise be secured on a grass lawn in a way that will not move for the duration of the exhibit.
● Pieces should be of a size that is engaging to viewers in an outdoor setting. There is no other size requirement.
● Must be able to endure all weather conditions and outdoor elements.
● Must not require maintenance over the life of installation, any repairs will be the responsibility of the artist, at the cost of the artist.
● The site is a well-lit and well-maintained public setting. The artist assumes all liability for any damage to the sculpture during the exhibition.
● Submissions will be evaluated based on originality and alignment with the show’s vision, Together, We Are More.
● It is an exhibition priority to select pieces of diverse expression. Artists from all communities, experiences and identities are highly encouraged to submit.
ARTIST AWARD + COMPENSATION
● $1,500 honorarium per artist (up to 3 submissions will be selected), provided by the Asheville Chamber and Lenoir-Rhyne University;
● Promotion across collaborators – Lenoir-Rhyne, Asheville Chamber, adé PROJECT – as well as other highly visible art channels; and
● Inclusion in published brochure + program guide statement, to be available on site at the Visitor Center;
● Artists of color are eligible for ongoing training, and artistic development support from adé PROJECT
SITE OF INSTALLATION
36 Montford Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801
About the Asheville Chamber: For over 120 years, the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce has been a catalyst for economic vitality in our community.Asheville Chamber’s membership of over 1,700 members represents more than 80,000 employees and consists of businesses large and small. The Asheville Chamber connects its members to valuable resources such as economic development and research, business education, marketing opportunities and advocacy. Asheville Chamber initiatives and projects have stimulated economic development, influenced public policy and supported the growth of thousands of local and regional businesses. Located at 36 Montford Avenue, the Asheville Chamber is also home to the Asheville Visitor Center, serving more than 200,000 visitors each year, and to the Asheville Shop, showcasing many local products and Asheville gifts. Learn more at ashevillechamber.org.