Press release from Asheville City Schools:
During today’s Special Called Meeting of the Asheville City Board of Education, the Board unanimously voted to change the minimum grading scale for state-mandated End of Course exams and CTE post-assessments.
- When a student takes their EOC or CTE post-assessment, the lowest possible state assessment final grade will be an 85%.
- When the student takes the final exam, the grade of 85-100% will count as 20% of the student’s final grade; the remaining 80% will reflect the student’s average for work in the class.
- Until a student takes the exam, a 59% will be the placeholder in Powerschool, and if a student never takes the exam, then a 59% will stay as their exam grade.
- If the student does not take the exam, 59% will count as 20% of the student’s final grade; the remaining 80% will reflect the student’s average for work in the class.
Although we as a district do not have the ability to cancel in-person exams, please know we acknowledge the challenges this semester has brought and have come up with a new base level that will not deter students from reaching their future goals should they wish to delay taking an exam.
Based on the Board’s decision, please know:
- December 14th – 18th will remain our designated testing window, and we will still be administering in-person exams for NC Math 1, NC Math 3, English II, Biology, Apparel I, Career Management, Parenting and Child Development, Foods I, Health Science I, Sports and Entertainment Marketing and Principles of Business.
- If your family believes it is in the best interest of your child not to test this week, please know we have received an extension for makeup testing through the end of January. Additionally, students have the option to take this semester’s End of Course exams and CTE post-assessment exams following the Spring 2021 Semester as well as in June 2021.
- This extension gives us more time but is NOT an opt-out form; testing is state and federally mandated.
- If students do not attend scheduled in-person testing this week, school staff will be in communication to problem solve and schedule makeup testing in collaboration with families.
- This decision only affects state assessments. It does NOT impact the final results students received on teacher-given final exams.
Echoing the sentiments of Dr. Gene and the Asheville City Board of Education, please continue to do what you believe is best for your child, especially in deciding when they should take their state and federally mandated in-person exams.