Asheville Fire Department issues fireworks safety reminder

From the Asheville Fire Department:

Fireworks Safety

ASHEVILLE – Each July 4th, thousands of people, most often kids and teens, are injured while using consumer fireworks. On a typical Fourth of July, there are more fires nationally than on any other day of the year, with fireworks accounting for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires. Over 11,000 injuries occur annually in the United States from fireworks alone. Many people falsely believe that because sparklers and similar fireworks are legal and readily available, they are safe. Too often, it’s small consumer fireworks that start fires or cause serious burn injuries. A simple sparkler can burn at a temperature of 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. To put that into perspective, a cake bakes at 350 degrees. The Asheville Fire Department recommends that people play it safe and attend a local firework display put on by the professionals.

Illegal fireworks in N.C. are those which are propelled, create loud noises or move in any way.  Legal fireworks are not loud and can emit showers or sparks.  Some examples of legal fireworks are snake and glow worms, smoke devices consisting of a tube or sphere that produce white or colored smoke, trick noisemakers-including party poppers, string poppers and snappers and the ever popular sparklers.  AFD enforces the law on fireworks as it is written in the North Carolina Fire Prevention Code and general statute regarding this issue.  No one under the age of sixteen is permitted to purchase fireworks and the fire department highly recommends any child using legal fireworks be supervised by an adult.   Please for additional information regarding fireworks. If you have questions or concerns regarding fireworks, please contact the Asheville Fire Department at 828-259-5636.

About Lea McLellan
Lea McLellan is a freelance writer who likes to write stories about music, art, food, wellness and interesting locals doing interesting things.

Before you comment

The comments section is here to provide a platform for civil dialogue on the issues we face together as a local community. Xpress is committed to offering this platform for all voices, but when the tone of the discussion gets nasty or strays off topic, we believe many people choose not to participate. Xpress editors are determined to moderate comments to ensure a constructive interchange is maintained. All comments judged not to be in keeping with the spirit of civil discourse will be removed and repeat violators will be banned. See here for our terms of service. Thank you for being part of this effort to promote respectful discussion.

Leave a Reply

To leave a reply you may Login with your Mountain Xpress account, connect socially or enter your name and e-mail. Your e-mail address will not be published. All fields are required.