Press release from Asheville Regional Airport:
Asheville Regional Airport (AVL) is preparing for the return of more significant numbers of air travelers in a post- Covid-19 environment, which will look different from what we have all known in the past. The airport team developed a comprehensive plan to promote safety and health at the airport, so the airport is ready as air travel continues to grow. All operational changes contribute to one common goal: to enhance safety and promote the health of everyone at the airport.
The airport launched a campaign titled #AVLTravelSmart to highlight what to expect when traveling to and through AVL.
Here is what AVL guests will now experience at the airport:
- ENHANCED CLEANING PROCEDURES – Enhanced and frequent cleaning of high-touch surfaces in public areas (including counters, handrails, elevator buttons, seating, doors and other such surfaces). The new procedures include use of electrostatic sprayers to disinfect large surface areas.
- FACE COVERINGS – All Greater Asheville Regional Airport Authority staff members are required to wear face coverings while in public areas of the airport. And per CDC guidelines, those visiting the airport are encouraged to wear face coverings while in the airport.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – There are now social distancing markers and signs in passenger queuing areas, including ticket counter lines, gate areas, restaurants and jet bridges. (Security screening markers will be placed next week.) Airport seating areas have been reconfigured to promote social distancing.
- PLASTIC SHIELDS – Acrylic “sneeze guard” shields have been installed at all public counters (in areas such as ticket lobbies, gate areas, rental car counters, and Guest Services).
- LIMITED ENTRY TO THE AIRPORT TERMINAL – Entry to the airport is now limited to passengers, visitors who must assist a passenger, those doing business at the airport, and employees. Those dropping off or picking up passengers should stay in their vehicles, and may use the complimentary Cell Phone Lot to await arriving passengers (or other paid lots, if preferred).
- EDUCATION – Signage, overhead announcements and other communication strategies are in place to help all guests maneuver the travel journey as safely as possible.
A next phase of implementation is coming soon. Specifically:
Hand sanitizing stations will be installed in the terminal (when our back-ordered supplies are received).
The airport team is also evaluating additional sanitizing procedures to implement soon.
It is important that the airport’s guests and passengers do their part, as well. Therefore, the airport will encourage passengers and guests to:
- Wear face coverings while in the airport and be mindful of social distancing practices;
- Allow ample time to arrive at the airport before a flight to avoid crowds;
- Check airline’s travel requirements before coming to the airport, as many airlines are requiring use of masks by their passengers; and
- Use technology to reduce touch-points whenever possible, such as mobile boarding passes and check-in.
AVL is following guidance from the CDC and local Departments of Health and Human Services, and will continue to monitor public health guidelines to follow the latest policies and practices in keeping its travelers, guests and employees safe. For more information, visit flyavl.com/AVLTravelSmart.