Press release from Blue Ridge Community College:
The North Carolina Military Business Center (NCMBC) is pleased to announce the appointment of Joe Tew as Business Development Professional and the opening of a new service location at Blue Ridge Community College (BRCC) in Flat Rock, North Carolina. Serving businesses statewide, Mr. Tew will identify contract opportunities, source them for businesses across the state and provide one-on-one assistance to help businesses in the region compete for, win and grow jobs through federal contracts. The BRCC office of the NCMBC results from expanded funding for the NCMBC provided by the General Assembly and State leadership to grow the defense economy in North Carolina.
“The business development team is the heart of the NCMBC,” said Scott Dorney, NCMBC Executive Director. “Joe’s experience in business development in the Fayetteville office of the NCMBC since 2017, and his previous experience with L-3 Vertex Regional Aviation Sustainment and other defense contractors, will equip him to provide invaluable assistance to North Carolina businesses in winning and successfully executing federal contracts.”
As a member of the NCMBC’s business development team, Mr. Tew will identify future and current federal prime and subcontracting opportunities, identify and notify companies of these opportunities and provide one-on-one assistance to help companies bid on and win contracts. Specifically, Mr. Tew will monitor contract opportunities from the Defense Logistics Agency Aviation and the Department of Homeland Security in US Customs and Border Protection, Federal Emergency Management Agency, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Transportation Security Administration.
Mr. Tew is responsible for working one-on-one with North Carolina businesses in Avery, Buncombe, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, Macon, Madison, McDowell, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Swain, Translyvania, Polk and Yancey counties. In this capacity, Mr. Tew will help existing businesses to identify, bid on and compete for federal contracts.
Mr. Tew is a retired Army Aviation Officer, Pilot, Maintenance Test Pilot and Aviation Maintenance and Logistics officer. His assignments included Commander, Operations Officer, Personnel Officer and Maintenance Operations officer. Prior to active duty, Joe was a Sergeant (UH-60 Armor Crewman) and Lieutenant (Tank Platoon Leader) in the North Carolina Army National Guard. He deployed for multiple combat tours and served 4 years in the North Carolina Army National Guard, 10 years on active duty and 10 years in the United States Army Reserve.
In addition to his military service, Mr. Tew’s experience includes:
- Business Development Professional for NCMBC in the Fayetteville region since 2017, relocation to the new Blue Ridge Community College office in 2020
- L-3 Vertex Regional Aviation Sustainment Maintenance-East, Business Manager (Fort Bragg, NC, Fort Drum, NY, Hunter Army Airfield, GA)
- Hupp Aerospace Logistics Services, Group Director (Defense and Commercial Aviation Repair Parts Kitting Business Development)
- United States Army Aviation Center of Excellence Senior Technical Analyst (UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter capabilities requirements and modifications project/program management)
- General Electric Lighting Kentucky Glass Plant Human Resources and Labor Relations Manager