Press release from Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation:
(ASHEVILLE, N.C., Jan. 26, 2022) – The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation is proud to announce the appointment of new Board of Trustees officers and the addition of members to its Council of Advisors. The group will provide leadership for the nonprofit organization, which this year celebrates its 25th anniversary of partnering with the National Park Service to preserve and enhance one of the most-visited national park units.
The Board of Trustees elected the following officers:
· Former vice chair John Mitchell of Hendersonville, North Carolina, was elected chair. He is the Henderson County Manager.
· Bob Stout of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, was named vice chair. He is a retired Regional President of US Foods.
· Jim Newlin of Meadows of Dan, Virginia, was selected to be treasurer. He is a retired staff member of the N.C. General Assembly.
· Julie H. Moore of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, was elected secretary. She is a Senior Vice President-Manager of Retail Banking for First Citizens Bank.
The Council of Advisors welcomed new members:
· Sam R. Johnson of Dahlonega, Georgia. He is the author of Fly Fishing the Blue Ridge Parkway – NC Section, and partner in the Atlanta practice of Newport, LLC.
· Ken McFadyen of Fincastle, Virginia. He is the Director of Economic Development for Botetourt County.
“The Parkway is a vital part of our mountain community’s economy, culture, and history. It’s a treasure that we share with the whole country,” Mitchell said. “With the help of our donors, and volunteers, the Foundation board is committed to helping sustain and improve this asset now and in the future.”
Founded in 1997, the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation is the nonprofit fundraising partner for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The organization provides support for initiatives along the 469-mile route, including historical and cultural preservation, environmental protection, visitor amenities, and education and outreach. The Foundation’s work includes programming at the Blue Ridge Music Center on the Parkway, and the award-winning, nationwide Kids in Parks program.
The Foundation has offices in Asheville and Winston-Salem, North Carolina, and Roanoke and Galax, Virginia. For more information, visit BRPFoundation.org.