Press release from the N.C. Department of Transportation:
About 75 miles of roadway on three state highways, a section of Sweeten Creek Road and 87 other secondary roads will be resurfaced in Buncombe County.
The N.C. Department of Transportation awarded a $14.9 million contract to Harrison Construction Company-APAC Atlantic, Inc. of Knoxville, Tennessee. Notable roads to be resurfaced include:
- About 2.6 miles on New Leicester Highway (N.C. 63) between Eliada Home and New Found roads;
- A section of Sweeten Creek Road (U.S. 25A) in Biltmore Village;
- About a mile of North Fork Road (N.C. 197) near Dodd Road;
- Approximately 11.4 miles of N.C. 9 between Old Lakey Gap Road and Kate Mountain Road;
- About 1.8 miles of N.C. 9 between the Norfolk Southern Railroad to end of maintenance.
Construction may start in July 2018, and the contractor has until October of 2019 to finish the projects.
This was one of 25 road and bridge contracts recently awarded by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Per state law they went to the lowest qualified bidder for each project. The contracts are worth nearly $630 million.