Press release from Cullowhee Arts:
Cullowhee Arts is taking enrollments for the 7th annual Summer Arts Workshop Series, held at Western Carolina University’s School of Art and Design. Three weeks of visual art workshops begin this year with two-day workshops. These are great opportunities to try a new medium or technique. Regional artists with in-depth knowledge of their subjects, extensive exhibition records and teaching experience will teach workshops in book arts, ceramics, mixed media, oil and cold wax painting and photography with printing.
“Our objective is to reach out those who would like to try a medium or technique without having to make a large investment of time or money,” says Cullowhee Arts Executive Director Norma Hendrix. “By hosting stellar artists to teach that live right in our backyard, we can do just that.”
Participants may select from the following workshops:
- Ceramics with Alice Ballard: “A Conversation with Clay,” exploring methods of hand-building
- Painting with Melba Cooper: “Step into Cold Wax Medium with Oil Painting,” an introduction to layering, texture, and mark-making
- Mixed media artists Sandee Johnson/Lynn Bland: “Mixed Media Marathon,” with experimental approaches to combining paint, texture, fabric, ink, and collage
- Book arts with Matt Liddle: “Paper Structures for Book Arts,” with basic tools to discover a variety of simple bindings and a number of related fun paper structures
- Photography-Printing with Clay Harmon: “19th Century Printing – 21st Century cameras,” Shoot and Print! Instruction in photo-taking principles followed by platinum/palladium printing process using your photos taken in class.
The two-day workshops include tuition, all or most supplies, lunches with artist presentations, and a break room with coffee, tea and snacks. The cost of the workshops ranges from $200 to $350, depending on the cost of supplies provided. Visit http://www.cullowheemountainarts.org/Summer-Arts-Workshops-Series to register.
For more information, contact Norma Hendrix at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-342-6913.