Press release from Davis Chapel United Methodist Church:
This year Davis Chapel United Methodist Church in Candler celebrates 150 years in ministry. The church will commemorate the anniversary this Sunday, Sept. 30 with a special service of celebration and lunch.
A small, dedicated group of Christians founded Davis Chapel, originally known as Stoney Fork Methodist Episcopal Church, in 1868. They originally held services in Stoney Fork Meeting House—a one room log building that housed both worship services and served as the local school.
Between 1900 and 1903 the present church site was purchased from Rachel Davis and her husband, Pinkney Davis and a new, larger church building was erected on the property. As part of the agreement for this newly deeded property from Rachel Davis, the one room clapboard building was renamed Davis Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, North.
In 1939 The Methodist Episcopal Church reunited with the Methodist Protestant Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South to form the Methodist Church. Subsequently The United Methodist Church was formed in 1968 by the union of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church. These mergers formed the present denomination of The United Methodist Church in which Davis Chapel currently resides.
Davis Chapel is currently part of the Hominy Charge, together with its sister church Piney Mountain United Methodist Church.
The 150 year service of celebration will take place at Davis Chapel at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30. The service will include singing by The Land of the Sky Boys and community members will have the opportunity to share stories and memories. Rev. Kevin Bates will preside over the service. A lunch will follow the service.