From Folkmoot USA:
It’s the Best Seat in the House When You’re a Folkmoot Volunteer or Guide!
We’re accepting applications now for Folkmoot USA Festival 2016 volunteers and guides. If you’ve ever wanted to experience the inner – Folkmoot: behind the scenes, backstage, traveling with the dance troupes, intense cultural education – this is the way!
Folkmoot USA depends on hundreds of volunteers to successfully produce the ten-day folk dance festival. This year, Folkmoot is seeking volunteers for the Parade of Nations, International Day, in-office and cafeteria support, guides and souvenir vendors. The 2016 festival begins on July 21 and closes on July 31. Needed volunteer positions include:
• Volunteers for Three Parades of Nations – The first parade takes place beginning at 10a.m. on Saturday, July 23, in downtown Waynesville. The second at 4p.m. on Thursday, July 27, in downtown Franklin. The third at 4p.m. on Friday, July 28, in downtown Asheville. Volunteers will be asked to keep parade watchers off the streets and on the sidewalks, direct parade participants, and pass out schedules and brochures for upcoming performances.
• Volunteers for International Festival Day – International Day is from 10a.m. to 5p.m. on Saturday, July 30, on Main Street in downtown Waynesville. Volunteers are needed to transport, set up and take down tables, chairs, and Folkmoot merchandise. Volunteers will also serve in the information booth and will be asked to assist international performers.
• Volunteers for the cafeteria – Volunteers assist with any of the four meals given to performers each day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 11p.m. meal). Volunteers will also help clean after meals and do cafeteria chores with supervision from cafeteria staff.
• Volunteers for office support – Volunteers are needed from 9a.m. until 10p.m. to answer phones and take over-the-phone ticket orders.
• Volunteers for souvenir sales – Volunteers help sell Folkmoot merchandise onsite and at each performance venue.
• Guides – Each international group attending Folkmoot will have one male and one female guide over the age of 18 years old. The guide’s duty is to act as a liaison between the performers and the Folkmoot organization, accompanying the groups to all scheduled venues and helping plan fun events during the group’s free time. The job is a 24/7 commitment, requiring guides to stay with their group for the duration of the 10-day festival. A small stipend is given to each guide.
For more information or to apply please go to FolkmootUSA.org or call 828-452-2997. To purchase tickets go to FolkmootUSA.org or call 828-452-2997.
The Folkmoot Friendship Center is located in the Hazelwood Neighborhood at 112 Virginia Avenue in Waynesville. Staff can be reached by phone, (828) 452-2997 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.