Press release from RiverLink:
The Anything that Floats Parade looks a little different this year due to safety concerns surrounding COVID-19. This year RiverLink is hosting Anything that Floats: French Broad in Wonderland —a semi-virtual river float with a flexible time frame that ensures a safe experience of the river while uniting for a common cause – clean water and the protection of the French Broad watershed. RiverLink made the changes to the event to ensure physical distancing safety measures are being observed.
● RiverLink’s annual Anything that Floats parade is an Asheville summertime staple that features limitless creativity as past participants have created boats and parade floats that can be paddled or floated down the French Broad River.
● This year, due to the safety challenges of COVID-19, RiverLink and New Belgium Brewing have made the tough decision to cancel RiverFest and are launching the first time summer event Anything that Floats: French Broad in Wonderland .
● This year’s event has morphed into a community wide celebration that takes place any time July 10-31. Participants are encouraged to float (or hike or picnic) on their favorite stretch of river in celebration of a common cause – clean water and the protection of the French Broad River watershed!
● Registration for the event is available online and includes entry to the event, a 5L dry bag filled with goodies, a raffle ticket to compete for awesome prizes donated by local businesses, and the opportunity to compete in the theme “French Broad in Wonderland” by dressing up in costumes and/or decorating or creating a float.
● Just like in years past, there will also be a contest with three categories: Most Creative, Most Environmentally Friendly and Best Costume . In order to enter the contest simply take a photo and share it on social media with the
hashtag #AnythingThatFloats2020 , or email it to email@example.com . Winners will be announced August 5 live on Facebook.
● The event is presented by RiverLink, and sponsored by Anchor QEA and Prestige Subaru.
All proceeds of the event benefit RiverLink and their work to protect the French Broad River watershed.