Press release from MountainTrue:
Join Asheville GreenWorks, MountainTrue’s Riverkeepers, Mills River Partnership, City of Hendersonville, and RiverLink for the 32nd Annual WNC Big Sweep – Western North Carolina’s largest single-day river, roadside and creek cleanup. The public is invited to help clean up our rivers with events on the French Broad River, Swannanoa River, Mills River, Green River, Lake Adger, and other streams across the region.
WNC Big Sweep Cleanups:
- Cleanup the French Broad River with GreenWorks and RiverLink
- Join RiverLink on a cleanup of the French Broad from Bent Creek to Hominy creek. We will meet at Hominy Creek River Park at 10:00am and then carpool down to Bent Creek to get on the water.
- Join Asheville GreenWorks on cleanup of the Swannanoa and French Broad Rivers, sponsored by The Corner Kitchen and Explore Asheville. We will meet at Zen Tubing Midtown at 10:00am-11:00am with a shuttle provided by Zen Tubing. Return for food, music, and beverages to celebrate with other volunteers!
- Clean up Westfeldt Park with the French Broad Riverkeeper
Westfeldt Park, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Help clean up the section of the French Broad from Lazy Otter Outfitters to Westfeldt Park. We will meet at 10:00am at Westfeldt Park and then run a self-shuttle to Lazy Otter Outfitters to put in.
- Clean up the Green River with the Green Riverkeeper
Fishtop Access at Green River Cove, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Paddle with us on the lower Green or support the effort by picking up litter along Green River Cove Road and trails of the Green River Game Lands to help us beautify this special place. Details: https://mountaintrue.org/event/big-sweep-on-the-green-river/
- Clean up Lake Adger with the Green Riverkeeper
Lake Adger Marina, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Help clean up Lake Adger! Cruise for litter on your boat, paddle out from the marina, or support the effort by picking up litter at the marina and along the shoreline.
- Cleanup the Mills River with the Mills River Partnership
Help clean up the beautiful Mills River by boat from Valley Ag Farm Supply on Hwy 280 to Westfeldt Park on the French Broad. Contact Mills River Partnership @ email@example.com for more details and to sign up for this stretch of river.
- Cleanup Mud Creek with the City of Hendersonville Mud Creek 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
Come spend a day on Mud Creek participating in the State’s largest river clean-up event!
Volunteers will be paddling from Jackson Park alongside the Oklawaha Greenway while removing trash from the river along the way. Participants will meet up at 10am before being shuttled to the creek. The City of Hendersonville can provide boats and gear for fifteen people, but individuals are encouraged to bring their own canoes or kayaks if they have them to allow even more people the opportunity to participate. Volunteers must register before the event. Meet-up location, details on what to bring, and a registration link can be found at https://www.hendersonvillenc.gov/stormwater-projects
- Other cleanups hosted by Adopt-A-Stream teams in waterways across the region Contact MountainTrue’s Americorps Water Quality Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a cleanup near you.