Press release from UNC Asheville:
UNC Asheville will offer a summer jazz and contemporary music intensive camp June 25-30 for musicians in high school, college and continuing students. Students enrolled in the summer music intensive camp will enjoy a week of study designed by UNC Asheville’s music faculty to accelerate all aspects of musical development.
Students will participate in a variety of ensembles including guitar, swing, hard bop, the nexus of avant-garde jazz and classical music. Students will learn music improvisation, jazz theory, composition, history, and composition for jazz and contemporary music. Instrumental master classes are also offered.
The summer music intensive will take its cue from UNC Asheville’s music and music technology programs, which include directed instruction in studio music and jazz with cross-training in ecomusic, ethnomusicology, roots and popular music, experimental music and visuals, electronic music, and emerging hybrids and styles of live and recorded music.
Camp instructors will include these members of UNC Asheville’s music faculty:
· Steve Alford, camp director, reeds; leader/composer for Rational Discourse, founding member of The E.Normus Trio
· Jacob Rodriguez, saxophone; principal member of Michael Bublé’s Grammy-winning orchestra
· Matthew Richmond, vibes, percussion, composition; performs as a member of the Like Mind Trio and Asheville Symphony Orchestra
· Tim Doyle, camp director; guitar; director of Asheville Guitar Club and programming director for Music Academy Asheville’s Rock Academy
· Zack Page, bass; freelance musician, has performed/recorded with Billy Higgins, Delfeayo Marsalis, Cyrus Chestnut, Marvin Stamm, Eddie Daniels and Babik Reinhardt
· Justin Ray, trumpet; performer, composer and arranger for Michael Bublé’s Grammy-winning orchestra
· Richard Shulman, piano; composer and performer, has played at venues in the U.S. and Europe including the Kool Jazz Festival, and has recorded 25 albums on his RichHeart Music label
· Justin Watt, drums; performs with the Like Mind, Asheville Art and Keith Davis trios and the Greenville Jazz Collective; curated the Asheville Original Music Series
Tuition is $525 including on-campus housing and meals. Students who will not need on-campus housing can take advantage of the non-resident option at a cost of $345, which includes 11 meals. Private instruction sessions with camp faculty will also be available for camp participants at a cost of $30 per half-hour, reserved and paid at registration to facilitate scheduling.
Online registration is now open and a deposit of $100 is required to reserve a place in the summer music intensive camp. The balance of tuition must be received in full by June 2. For more information and registration, visit music.unca.edu/jazz-camp.